Technical Replacing dynamo rear bearing

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing dynamo rear bearing

I bought some replacement dynamo bearings from Germany, without really examining the old parts very closely.
The rear one seems to be held in by two metal plates riveted?? together.
The supplier doesn't list replacement rivets to put the whole lot back together when the bearing is replaced.
What's the solution, M4 nuts and bolts?
Picture is the part from the 2nd dynamo - with the amount of sand / dust in it the engine might have done some time in the Sahara!

Attachments

• 104_4623.JPG
    104_4623.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 89
  • 104_4624.JPG
    104_4624.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
I bought some replacement dynamo bearings from Germany, without really examining the old parts very closely.
The rear one seems to be held in by two metal plates riveted?? together.
The supplier doesn't list replacement rivets to put the whole lot back together when the bearing is replaced.
What's the solution, M4 nuts and bolts?
Picture is the part from the 2nd dynamo - with the amount of sand / dust in it the engine might have done some time in the Sahara!
Whatever system you decide to use, you are going to have to drill the rivets out in order to remove the retaining plates. Depending on how much metal there is in the end-housing, you might find that you can tap a thread (4 or 3mm) in the hole where the rivets were, and use small screws loc-tited in. If there isn't enough thread to put a thread in, then small bolts (with enough clear shank to go through the housing) and nylock nuts might indeed be the answer.

I thought that might be the case, its for a spare dynamo so I'll have a good look once I've got the engine running and tested out the existing dynamo.
Refitting it to the engine, getting the small shield in place, then getting all the nuts etc in place has kept me entertained / exasperated for a couple of hours this morning - I'm still trying to work out how to get the strap thingy round the dynamo far enough to be able to do the nut up on the alloy mounting.
It must rank as the most awkward dynamo / alternator I've ever had dealings with!

This is what I did, big cable tie and start off with a longer bolt pulling it all in line then taking up the slack on the cable tie until I could get the original bolt back in. Adjustable spanner provided a pull handle.

0AFE30F4-16F5-4EC6-8B07-0FC5C0B317CC.jpeg

9ED0186D-4F9F-4B0D-8D3D-1EF55DF9FAFE.jpeg

Thanks for that, I'll have another go tomorrow. Hopefully won't have to resort to anything more violent!

Back