Technical Repair panel primer

Currently reading:
Technical Repair panel primer

pete vdp

Does this primer as supplied on repair panels need to be removed before painting or can it be painted over?this is not a concours restoration and most of the areas i am talking about are floor panels, lower cills. Thanks, any advice appreciated

I've heard that the primer used is just to protect the panels in transit and may be just the cheapest available and therefore the non-etch type which is preferable.

For outside visible body panels, I'd certainly remove the primer unless I was sure it was an etch-primer, rather that risk problems later on after a costly respray.

For floor panels, I'd try power wire brushing the primer to test it's adhesive powers, if it seemed securely bonded, I'd leave it alone - it would be quite time consuming/awkward to strip primer from floor panels.

If you do decide to strip the primer, I'd avoid sanding, instead would opt to wipe over using paint stripper. It might be possible to remove certain types of primer using an appropriate paint thinners.

Al.

Sorry fiona 500f. Was attempting to like your post but hit the thumbs down in error!also thanks F123C, i know what you mean by tim e consuming. Mind you its taken me five years to get this far. . .

Sorry fiona 500f. Was attempting to like your post but hit the thumbs down in error!also thanks F123C, i know what you mean by tim e consuming. Mind you its taken me five years to get this far. . .

I think you can undo a dislike (or remove a like :devil: ) by clicking on the hand symbol in the lower rh side of your post (the thumb up and thumb down symbols are replaced by a hand with a red spot after you've selected one. Afaik this can be done for some time afterwards, whereas you can only edit a post within 2 or 3? hours of posting it.

Al.

I was always led to believe it was just a protective coating..
I have seen t flake off on some panels...
Applying my usual logic... would a pressing plant go to the time trouble and expense of cleaning, pepping then using a more expensive primer/paint than necessary?
The is no guarantee that there isn't any oil grease or such contaminating the surface before panels are painted....

I know the local paint removal company near me remove paint/rust, quick coat to stop flash rusting, the car is returned, repaired then returned for re-rust removal, then etch primed or similar.. so any of the coating on new panels will be removed....

Back