Technical removing sump gasket sealant with heat

Currently reading:
Technical removing sump gasket sealant with heat

Should not need any heat to remove it I would have thought. Just a good cleaning will suffice. However, you would remove the sump only if it is leaking so a new sump would be preferable so no need to remve any sealant from the new sump. On the engine side should be easier to clean any sealant I suppose.

Should not need any heat to remove it I would have thought. Just a good cleaning will suffice. However, you would remove the sump only if it is leaking so a new sump would be preferable so no need to remve any sealant from the new sump. On the engine side should be easier to clean any sealant I suppose.

i am gonna use sump from donor car, thats why i have to clean old sealant from it

it will take some of the powdercoat off but other than that no... and that shouldn't be an issue in itself as that part will end up covered in new sealant or inside and covered in oil all the time. If you accidently take a bit from the outside then just whack a bit of paint on it after its all fitted up.

Use loads of heat to burn it off you might warp it and then it won't seal at all... The stuff is pretty sticky granted but its not so hard to get off that you need to burn it off - if you want to soften it up a bit then by all means warm it up with a heat gun or something but i not ever found that necessary myself. You can clean them up just with the razor blade but it takes ages

Last edited:
it will take some of the powdercoat off but other than that no... and that shouldn't be an issue in itself as that part will end up covered in new sealant or inside and covered in oil all the time. If you accidently take a bit from the outside then just whack a bit of paint on it after its all fitted up.

gonna change it today, is there anything else i should watch out for

so lower whole exhaust, remove old sump, remove dipstick, clean everything good, degrease, put new sump on, apply sealant, torque it to 10nm as per autodata, leave for 1day, and refill with oil

is this sealant good for sump?

Attachments

• AB-12-EksolM.jpg
    AB-12-EksolM.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 18
yes you need to drop the exhaust, whether you drop the whole thing or undo the downpipe from manifold is upto you, i guess it depends on the condition of the connections - mani to downpipe i have snapped loads of times particularly if they never been off...

I can't comment on that sealant, always use loctite 5980 myself... But i put a bead all the way round the sump itself (doing a little ring round the bolt holes), then leave it for 5-10 mins to start to go off, this stops every little bit just squishing out when you bolt it on. Then when i bolt it on i don't do it right up straight away - just so the sealant starts squishing out all the way round and then i leave it again for 20mins or so and then go back and torque it all up properly and then leave it to go off properly before you fill oil.

All that said, if you follow the instructions on the sealant you can't go too wrong lol.

Back