Technical Removing ECU

Currently reading:
Technical Removing ECU

PNL

Banned
Does anyone know what would happen if the ECU for the airbags/system was removed IE- would this cause any problems with the main ECU .
Ime thinking that by doing this then this way I can finally fit my bucket seats :) been driving now for nigh on 40 years never had the damn things back then and they are imo a pain in the butt BEEP BEEP BEEP :bang: but would obviously need to check this with insurance company :) comments please including tech ones of how to go about it appreciated (y)

PNL said:
Does anyone know what would happen if the ECU for the airbags/system was removed IE- would this cause any problems with the main ECU .
Ime thinking that by doing this then this way I can finally fit my bucket seats :) been driving now for nigh on 40 years never had the damn things back then and they are imo a pain in the butt BEEP BEEP BEEP :bang: but would obviously need to check this with insurance company :) comments please including tech ones of how to go about it appreciated (y)

Come on ppl aint anyone got some Ideas :( now wheres Batman Decks and Robin Rroope they are usually good at auto electrics :)

What airbags are you worried about Phil, if it is the side bags in the seats I just unplugged them under the seats and removed the seats always got the airbag light on in the dash but according to the dealer and another garage it is not a MOT requirement so no problem.

Steve.

steve1219 said:
What airbags are you worried about Phil, if it is the side bags in the seats I just unplugged them under the seats and removed the seats always got the airbag light on in the dash but according to the dealer and another garage it is not a MOT requirement so no problem.

Steve.

Dont want to be driving around with constant light winking at me [airbag] so would prefer to be shot of the lot and done with :) and to be honest it would be great to think that an airbag problem in my stilo would never rear its ugly head again (y)

The better option would be to fit diagnostic resistors into the seat harness which would leave the rest of the airbag system working and actually doing the job its designed to do which is to save your life in an accident.

NumanR said:
The better option would be to fit diagnostic resistors into the seat harness which would leave the rest of the airbag system working and actually doing the job its designed to do which is to save your life in an accident.

Sorry to be a thicky but does this mean if my airbag light is on none of the bags are functioning?

Steve

NumanR said:

So can you give me the details of how to go about fitting these resisters and where to fit them and where to buy them from :) I have contacted a number of auto electricians and not one of them wanted to take this on :bang: so obviously im thinking WHY :(

If the warning light is on then the airbag system will not detonate the airbags in the event of an accident.

The resistors are part of diagnostic kits used by Fiat, I am not sure if they are available seperatly but all they are is a fixed resistence to replace the airbag, and they would be plugged into the looms under each seat.

NumanR said:
If the warning light is on then the airbag system will not detonate the airbags in the event of an accident.

The resistors are part of diagnostic kits used by Fiat, I am not sure if they are available seperatly but all they are is a fixed resistence to replace the airbag, and they would be plugged into the looms under each seat.

Thankyou for that info Numan R (y) so in that case I just as you say need to plug in these resistors into the under seat conections and these diagnostic kits you mentioned are these then available from fiat and do you know or can you find out price and part No etc (y) :) looks like a possible step forward at last :)

I know the kits are expensive, but the resistors may be available seperately I really dont know. If not there is nothing to stop you making your own with a couple of old plugs from a scrapped car and a resistor from maplins, I will find out the resistence you need next week.

NumanR said:
I know the kits are expensive, but the resistors may be available seperately I really dont know. If not there is nothing to stop you making your own with a couple of old plugs from a scrapped car and a resistor from maplins, I will find out the resistence you need next week.

That you mate Im very gratefull for your help (y)

I dont think the Stilo system works the same as the Punto Steve I know you have unpluged yours so that you can fit your Bucket seats but on the Stilo its not just a warning light its the constant ping ping ping along with a message that comes up and I dont think just taking out the bulb would suffice :(

Indeed not Phil, the only way to do it is to take NumanR's advice onboard; effectively the Airbag ECU will think the OCS mat is still plugged in (no doubt, depending on resistance will tell it the weight of the person sat in the seat).

What is funny is that the Airbag system gets massive priority on the Stilo; when I took my dash out and played around, I noticed that even on severely low voltages and current, the only LED that would remain on was the Airbag light, and nothing else.

In other words, BE CAREFUL!!

I don't think just putting in resistances in place of the OCS to fool the airbag ECU will work. I had a lot of fun playing about with the thing recently and there's a lot of electronics in the OCS mat. The airbag ECU interrogates the OCS very thoroughly and if it senses a problem BEEP AIRBAG FAILURE. The OCS mat is some very sophisticated kit as it works out the occupant size and weight for effective airbag deployment so I believe it takes more than just resistance to fool it.

I would leave the OCS mat in the new seat between the foam and the top fabric then you have a working passenger front airbag.

Side airbags would be your next problem

Last edited:
Thanks for that guys its all becoming rather a pain in the butt to be honest and I am thinking now is it worth all the agro I could be letting myself in for so I have put my bucket seats in the classified section for sale :( I really wanted tose seats in the car but if its not to be then thats it :cry:

tis a shame pnl. could you not be VERY careful and fit the OCS pad into the bucket seats so as to still have the front airbags and then use the resistors for the side airbag? would be a very safe and yet unique bucket seated stilo :D

hi people fitting squib resister is the best way as all other air bags shall work, but they do come as part of a kit and is expensive (dealer usage)best leave alone,if you realy realy want you can (disconect control unit disconect plug under seat then de,solder the air bag warning lamp led . but i dont advise and did not tell you this air bags save lifes

Hi.. I'm also trying to fit a bucket seat (driver only) into my Stilo Abarth. Any progress on how it can be done? ;)

Me thinks I have solved this problem, bit too late for poor Phil though!

There was a mod done to remove the OCS sensor, so if you bought that ECU, it wouldn't be asking for an input from the OCS mat, hence you could fit your bucket seats and still have a working airbag system!

Get what I mean??

Back