Technical Removing ECU

Currently reading:
Technical Removing ECU

"Get what I mean?" Er No, Can you explain more please, Rich?
"so if you bought that ECU, it wouldn't be asking for an input from the OCS mat"

How will the dual staged airbag system work properly if the airbag ecu doesn't know what size/weight person is in the passenger seat from the OCS sensor? Will it fire just the first stage and possibly do more harm than good?

Saikao is talking of replacing driver's seat only and, as we know, there isn't an OCS sensor in there, just a "seat belt on/off sensor" for the airbag ecu which will still be there,untouched, and so it's just the seat airbags relocation to think about. That's a much easier task than the passenger seat

With the passenger seat, a better option might be peeling off the OC sensor from the passenger seat base and installing under the cover of a the new seat rather than having no OCS at all. Then you just have the headache of how to install the seat side airbags so they work properly. No easy task and messing up the OCS sensor is £100 but that's nothing to the litigation if you have a passenger's face messed for life because of messing with the airbags.

Last edited:
Right, I didn't read that Siaokao was only doing drivers seat, so there won't be a problem there.

As for passenger side bucket seat installations, here goes. As stated, on chassis number 250210 (build date 12/2002) FIAT removed the passenger side OCS sensor (mod number 8809), therefore the airbag must deploy without input from the seat sensor. As a result, a new airbag ECU was added for the mod, which must be the same as the normal except it's not taking any information from the now non-existent OCS mat. The airbag itself, however, remains unchanged.

So, to eliminate the problem of no OCS feed on bucket seat installations, one could thereotically purchase the new ECU and get it Proxi'd at FIAT . . . thus no need for the OCS mat :).

OK got that

But how will the vehicles with two stage airbags (that's most of us), if fitted with a new style airbag ECU know how to deploy the passenger bags if there's no OCS sensor input? e.g. will it now ignore staged inflation and go straight to full bag deployment?

To be honest, I'd be happier if it simply went to full deployment yes or no decision in the event of, at least there's less to go wrong. The system is more sophisticated than an Apollo re-entry

The OC sensor is made by Siemens, they're the ones who can make a frictionless train run above the rails -fantastic- but can't detect a maintenance wagon stationary on the same line. Bang! Duh!

Last edited:
Deckchair5 said:
OK got that

But how will the vehicles with two stage airbags (that's most of us), if fitted with a new style airbag ECU know how to deploy the passenger bags if there's no OCS sensor input? e.g. will it now ignore staged inflation and go straight to full bag deployment?

To be honest, I'd be happier if it simply went to full deployment yes or no decision in the event of, at least there's less to go wrong. The system is more sophisticated than an Apollo re-entry

The OC sensor is made by Siemens, they're the ones who can make a frictionless train run above the rails -fantastic- but can't detect a maintenance wagon stationary on the same line. Bang! Duh!

Thats a good question decks; maybe they've based it on an average person and worked out that the variance of deployment times is so small that it doesn't warrant the OCS system, which no doubt caused FIAT several lost pennies in warranty claims.

Either that or they just scrapped the system to save the cash!!

rroope said:
Me thinks I have solved this problem, bit too late for poor Phil though!

Way to late now their long gone and have been banned by my wife from doing any further mods and none essential work on my car :cry: I wonder if coilovers could be classed as essential work :chin:

Back