Technical Relocate Battery in Boot

Currently reading:
Technical Relocate Battery in Boot

Thinking about moveing the battery into the boot as the thing to hold in in place under the bonnet has rusted away, and it would be nice to have a bit more room.

Been looking round the net and know whats needed but was wandering if i had to get the sealed box ventelated? Something to do with the battery type, also dose it have to be sealed as if not i could use the battery box from a 306 otherwise

Thanks

Yeah i kinda though you didnt need it to be sealed, as ive seen guys on other forums useing the battery box out of a Transit van in the back when building fast road/track day car.

Jest tried to get some info from the web and all google threw up was a bunch of other forums, moast of them saying it had to be sealed up. I know from expirience that if there in the car they have to be sealed up for motorsport use, but wasnt shure with road use.

Anybody got any expirience in doing this?

Last edited:
GRP box with battery fully enclosed, but mines not in the boot, its where the back seat was, so is within the habaticle.

Can be seen in the gallery, hiding behind the cage

https://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=33150&ppuser=25

Cheers

PD

Yeah thats what one of my mates got in his rally car, his is behind his drivers seat, so in the habaticle as you say, thus why it had to be sealed i suppose?

I'll probably get one with a lid on it as it said in the other thread, if something conductive was to fly round the boot it might short it, so thats an idea

Yeah thats what one of my mates got in his rally car, his is behind his drivers seat, so in the habaticle as you say, thus why it had to be sealed i suppose?

I'll probably get one with a lid on it as it said in the other thread, if something conductive was to fly round the boot it might short it, so thats an idea

The other option is to use insulated connectors. I use the clip on ones even though mine is in a box.

Cheers

PD

Think about it for a second if anything hits the battery and cracks the case in a crunch there's lead acid everywhere. A battery box should give more protection than having the battery open in the cabin, and in a cento the boot is part of the cabin! Personally I have have the battery in a box which is vented to a wheel arch.

Think about it for a second if anything hits the battery and cracks the case in a crunch there's lead acid everywhere. A battery box should give more protection than having the battery open in the cabin, and in a cento the boot is part of the cabin! Personally I have have the battery in a box which is vented to a wheel arch.

Yeah thats what i thought about doing, Puting it right against the wheel arch, and cutting a vent in the side and then through the wheel arch.

Would a vent on the bottom do the same job? Not to shure about cutting a hole in the wheel arch to be honest!

mmm. i just made up a bracket like this:
DSCN4621.jpg

Is it no good then guys?? was going to have it right on the floor behind the passengers seat

RS-1989, mine is a piece of vac tubing running from a bulkhead connector on the battery box one of the threads that held the rear seats in and just used a hot glue gun to stick it in place, it ain't pretty but does the job.

Brooky, that's probablly more protection than a GRP box but I'd still like it enclosed.

Back