Technical Refitting rear springs 500L 1972

Currently reading:
Technical Refitting rear springs 500L 1972

Arancia

Evening all…..
seem to be having the devils own job getting the rear springs to sit properly on the swing arms. Got one side done but looking at it now the spring and the shock absorber are touching which can’t be right surely.

There would seem to be a position for it to sit per the picture below but I can’t get it to sit there when jacking up the swing arm.
F51F1CFD-5669-415B-9285-9F375281890F.jpeg

929A8663-04A5-4512-A850-6908A36BBFC5.jpeg

This second picture shows the results of previous attempts. I am guessing that the end of the spring should sit just in front of that upright tab where all the scratch marks are (!) and the other side should sit inside that raised section just in front of the brake line.
Any thoughts or top tips will be gratefully received. The spring is 220mm and the shock absorber is 290mm.
Having tried many different things including tie wrapping the spring in place on the swing arm then gently jacking up the swing arm I am at a bit of a loss.
Alas my spring compressors won’t fit in the space available. My next move might be to unbolt the swing arm completely, balance the spring and upper mount in the correct orientation then jack up the whole assembly and bolt the swing arm back on.
And I thought this would be a quick job and Arancia would be back on her wheels today for the first time in 3 years!
Many thanks in anticipation. (Or should that be desperation🤣).

Back