Red key, have you needed it?

Have you needed/used your Red Fiat key

• Yes

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I only have 2 blue keys, both have the number 2, then a triangle (or arrow if you like) going into 2 circles! Do I need a red key? :confused:

Car going in for Warranty stuff on Monday so I could bring it up then if I need one?

Cheers, Oz (y)

there's so much false info about keys again and again and again.

using the red key wont cause damage, it will simply unlock the ecu on every first attempt to start the car (not preventing the car from starting as normal) and on every second attempt (if within a few seconds) it will stall the key programming procedure as no primary slave (1st blue) has been used, but again the engine will still start as normal. thats why the key code light remains illuminated on the second attempt, to signal that the programming procedure has recieved an unexpected code sequence (no blue on second use). this isnt a problem and wont damage the ecu. thats just a myth. there's enough people using the red key daily to prove no damage occurs. repeatedly using the red key has been shown to cause blue code loss from the ecu, by that i mean repeatedly using the red will sometimes wipe the blue codes from the ecu. if you've been using your red and then when you try a blue it no longer starts the car, thats why. you can still reprogram the blues is this situaiton using the red key, but you must have 2 blues.

the blue key codes are not paired to your red key. the red key can be used to program any blue key into your car. trust me on this, i've had a bravo working on cinq codes. up to 8 different keys can be programmed at once, but at least 2 salves must be used to allow programming.

if you have the number 2 on your keys it means there should not be a red key. on system 2 the master red key was replaced with a code card for non-UK models and a code register for UK cars. so fiat can program a new key into a system 2 car no matter which key you have remaining, as long as you have a working key (and a code card for imports).

on system 1 cars you will need the red key to program new keys into the ecu so losing it will mean you are stuck with the keys you have. that will not stop you getting a £20 copy of a blue key at timpsons, which will work fine (copies work on system2 as well). so if you have a missing red key get all your blues copied as soon as possible, then when you lose one it makes no difference and you avoid an expensive trip to the dealer.

Agreed spot on explanation!!:)
And I can confirm that every so often the key code light will stay lit (which i have been unsure about till now) but the car starts at the first turn of the key every time. So do you think the blue key i have may just need reprograming but i would need another blue key 2 do this:confused:

PEZ1 said:
Agreed spot on explanation!!:)
And I can confirm that every so often the key code light will stay lit (which i have been unsure about till now) but the car starts at the first turn of the key every time. So do you think the blue key i have may just need reprograming but i would need another blue key 2 do this:confused:

exactly. if you get another blue key you can program both blue keys into your ecu. to do that you simply-
insert red key into the ignition and switch the ignition on (dash lights come on) wait for key code light to go off then remove the red key and within a few seconds do the same with the 1st blue key (swap them over quickly), then when the key code light goes off again remove the first blue and insert the 2nd blue key and switch ignition on wait for key code light to go off, then do the red again. if the key code light now goes off then thats it all programmed. you keep the red key safe, and use the blues to drive. if you want more than 2 blues you simply do them before the final red, up to 8 blues at once can be done.

if you copy your current blue key you will not have 2 blues, you will have 2 copies of 1 blue. that will not work as the ecu will see the code is the same and assume the same key has been used twice.

what i did to overcome this problem was to get timpsons to copy my blue key, but then when they code it i used the key code from a friend's cinq. so i had a copy of my blue key blank and a copy of a cinq blue key code. that new key then worked fine and programmed into the ecu on my bravo.

I'm using the red key all the time as it's the only key I have to start the car as I had a replacement ignition barrel put in and the guy who did it took the whozit out my old red key and put it in the new one so it starts the car and the original 2 blue keys I still have I use to unlock the doors. Can I take the red key to Timpsons and get another key cut from it, or is it just the blues you can copy?

dreamer said:
I'm using the red key all the time as it's the only key I have to start the car as I had a replacement ignition barrel put in and the guy who did it took the whozit out my old red key and put it in the new one so it starts the car and the original 2 blue keys I still have I use to unlock the doors. Can I take the red key to Timpsons and get another key cut from it, or is it just the blues you can copy?

you should take all your keys to timpsons, and explain that you want 2 copies made, each copy should be cut using the red key, and then coded using one of the blue keys. then you will have 3 working keys and you can keep the red in a safe place, using the new blues to operate the car.

Timpsons cloned me a blue key off my blue key when the loop on it snapped....cost 23 quid.....its hideous like, made out of hard plastic with JMA written on it and an awkward shape to turn but worked just fine without any coding at all.....i have a red key on current car but last punto didn't and i never needed it

short answer , yes.
The TD Tempra did not have the red key. I have used it on the Marea to program a spare blue key I bought as it only came with 1. Sods law then kicked in and about 6 months after I bought the car the missing blue key arrived unanounced in the post. The ECU will only accept 2 blue keys so one is on Mrs Renegdes keyring just to open the doors as she does not drive the Fiat.

Is that bad?!
you have a mk2 punto so you shouldnt have a red key ;)

but if you should have one, and dont, thats what this poll is for. to put a figure on the chance that you'll need the red key, if you need it and you havent got it, it is usually bad. so far we can assume there is a 20% chance you'll need it (in reality it is less likely imo).

if you dont have your red key, you cant program blue keys into the immob. thats probably never going to be a problem unless you lose both your blue keys. if you ever do lose one, make sure you get the other copied (£20 at timpsons) straight away so you always have at least 2 keys.

there is a small chance that one day your code box will lose all the key codes (rarely happens when battery goes flat or if you have a major electrical fault). in that situaiton you really need the red key, without it you have 3 choices:

1. replace the ecu & codebox, and obtain a matching red key. you can do this by getting second hand parts from another car. total cost is usually less than £100. if you go to a fiat dealer they will want to change half the car and charge hundreds more, but its not neccessary. as long as you get a matching ecu, codebox & red key you can avoid the hassle of buying new parts and keys and locks on top.

2. get ecu decoded. you can send the ecu away to have the immob disabled. this will make the car easy to steal (screwdriver would do it), but it will also mean you'll never have to worry about key codes ever again. cost depends where you go, we have someone on the forum who can do this at a very reasonable price.

3. set fire to the car.

Back