Technical Rear Wiper again...

Currently reading:
Technical Rear Wiper again...

hjalte81

Hi..

My rear wiper is probably stuck siezed. Today I tried to dissambly it. I managed to get the wiper-arm off, but from there on, I couldn't get any further.

What shall I do from here.

I also did get the plastic off, from the inside of the rearwindow/metal. And I can see the motor and the wires.

Should I be able to move the arm and blade across the window by hand?

get some WD40 and some grips and force it round then try it thats what i did butit turned out the motor in mine was knackered so had to replace in the end

Just to be sure...

1) I should spray some WD40 oil on the "bolt", where the wiper arm was sitting.
2) I'll take some grips (dont know that word but I guess its some kind of wrench) and turn the bolt (really dont know the name for thid, but its kind of a bolt) anti clockwise, without any ignition on the car.

Is that right?

undo the bolt with the correct sized socket either a 8mm or 10mm i cant remember

then if the wiper doesnt come off spray WD40 under it and try to ''work'' it free with your hands

it should come off anfter that

i mean grips such as mole grips and turn the motor if it doesnt turn when you switch it on which should unsieze it

then reassemble if it works and job done

undo the bolt with the correct sized socket either a 8mm or 10mm i cant remember

then if the wiper doesnt come off spray WD40 under it and try to ''work'' it free with your hands

it should come off anfter that

i mean grips such as mole grips and turn the motor if it doesnt turn when you switch it on which should unsieze it

then reassemble if it works and job done

Okay.. Everything works fine until the turning part.
I can get the wiper arm of with no problem, but I cant turn the bolt.
It simply wont.

Should I turn it with the motor on or off?

so youve removed the bolt to take the wiper arm off and the wiper arm is removed

under that you should see the spindle part which should spin if the motor is working if it doesnt then check fuses or new motor

do you have a picture of what stage our at?

No. Dont have any pictures. The stage I'm at, is the arm unmounted, and only the bolt / spindlepart remaining. I tried to turn the bolt with grips, but its very stuck.

Should I be able to turn the bolt, when the motor is off?
Or should I activate the rear wiper, and then try to turn it?

When I turn the rear wiper on, there is a clicking sound from thhe rear...

You won't be able to turn the spindle if it's still connected to the motor. You need to remove the motor part from the rest of body as there are gears that stop you turning it manually. There are four 'tangs' that hold the assembly together that can be bent out of the way. Once it's split apart, then you can work your magic with WD40 and vice grips, give it a good greasing and re-assemble it. I did this about two or three years ago and it's still working fine.

ps is the wiper arm stuck part way through it's stroke, or at the park position? I confirmed my motor was trying to work by turning the wiper on and seeing if the motor body heated up. I only did this long enough to confirm that the motor was at least trying to work otherwise I would have melted something.

You won't be able to turn the spindle if it's still connected to the motor. You need to remove the motor part from the rest of body as there are gears that stop you turning it manually. There are four 'tangs' that hold the assembly together that can be bent out of the way. Once it's split apart, then you can work your magic with WD40 and vice grips, give it a good greasing and re-assemble it. I did this about two or three years ago and it's still working fine.

ps is the wiper arm stuck part way through it's stroke, or at the park position? I confirmed my motor was trying to work by turning the wiper on and seeing if the motor body heated up. I only did this long enough to confirm that the motor was at least trying to work otherwise I would have melted something.

UPS.. Glad I gave up then.
The wiper arm is at park, or atleast I think so, the wiper didn't work when I bought the car.

I did try once to get to the motor, but gave up. It looked very complex.
I'll try again tomorrow. If you have any tips on how to remove it, or maybe you can explain the part about the "tangs" again?

But thank you so far, I'll let you know how it went.

OK, this is from memory. The actual motor is in a kind of cylindrical housing and all the gears and stuff that sweep the wiper back and forward are in a kind of rectangualr box that the motor attaches to. The tangs are on the motor housing, two on one side and two on the other. You'll need to prise them open with a screwdriver or something, then you can withdraw the motor from the gears. you may need to take the cover off the rectangular bit to do this. I think it's secured with four or five bolts that are 8mm or 10mm, sorry it's been a while since I last looked. When it's all sitting in pieces in front of you, that's when you can go mental with vice grips and WD40.

Okay. Heres an update.

Today I went out to my punto, very determined to make my rear wiper work.
I took everything apart, and took a lot of pictures.

What I found was;

1) The Bolt, connecting the wiper to the gears, is very rusty. Its totally stuck. I tried with WD40 and a lot of twisting and turning, but no luck.

2) Probably because the wiper has been turned on and on and on and on and... some wires and plastic inside the motor is melted. Dont know if it will work, if I could get the gears to turn...

So I'll probably need to buy a whole new rear wiper motor :(
Anyways, I did learn something from this whole experience.

- First of all. NEVER keep trying to turn something with electricity, if it is stuck or dont work.

- If something dont work, fix it immediatly (it has probably been rusty for a couple of years.. I bought the car a couple of months ago).

- Always check the rear wiper when buying a used car ;)

- and last but not least... I've learned to dissassamble a wiper motor :D

Here are some pictures of the box and the melted wires

Attachments

• 07122008261.jpg
    07122008261.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 06122008259.jpg
    06122008259.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 27
You might be able to get a motor from a scrappy. Now you know what to look for, you can see it's knackered before you buy it. I'd probably check with a local motor factors first though, they might not be too dear.

Aye, electrivity and seized/stuck stuff doesn't mix. I wonder how may people have burned out their window motors coz the windows are stuck with the frost???

You might be able to get a motor from a scrappy. Now you know what to look for, you can see it's knackered before you buy it. I'd probably check with a local motor factors first though, they might not be too dear.

Aye, electrivity and seized/stuck stuff doesn't mix. I wonder how may people have burned out their window motors coz the windows are stuck with the frost???

You have too see it to believe it... :)
Im very gratefull for all the help I've recieved so far. Thank you.

Back