Technical Rear swing arm ball joints

Currently reading:
Technical Rear swing arm ball joints

Morning all.

Has anyone installed / renewed rear swing arm ball joints on a 1500 recently and encountered problems?

Particular interest in where replacement ball joints were from.

I may be on my own here but I've never understood why anyone would attempt this.
It's major surgery for a start, the ball joint is an integral part of the swing arm and was never intended to be replaceable.
I've heard of someone completely wrecking a swing arm trying this job.
Second the cost of the ball joints is in Lamborghini territory.
There are sellers out there who have good used suspension arms.

I may be on my own here but I've never understood why anyone would attempt this.
It's major surgery for a start, the ball joint is an integral part of the swing arm and was never intended to be replaceable.
I've heard of someone completely wrecking a swing arm trying this job.
Second the cost of the ball joints is in Lamborghini territory.
There are sellers out there who have good used suspension arms.
Hi Sledgehammmer

Many thanks for the reply.
`
The supplier of these ball joints insisted they had `sold over 1000 to satisfied customers who had no trouble fitting them`

Another supplier echoed this type of number, but added ``in the last couple of years there has been a problem with the taper`` that causes the offset to be incorrect and so has discontinued supplyng this part.

I was asking the question out of curiosity and to warn / flag to other owners who may be thinking about replacing them.

Hi Sledgehammmer

Many thanks for the reply.
`
The supplier of these ball joints insisted they had `sold over 1000 to satisfied customers who had no trouble fitting them`

Another supplier echoed this type of number, but added ``in the last couple of years there has been a problem with the taper`` that causes the offset to be incorrect and so has discontinued supplyng this part.

I was asking the question out of curiosity and to warn / flag to other owners who may be thinking about replacing them.
They do seem like big numbers to me, I'm surprised if that's the case. I've done most mechanical jobs on an X19 but I'd run from that task, even if the ball joints were cheap.

Back