Technical Rear seats

Currently reading:
Technical Rear seats

Tiggs

May sound strange, but....we are thinking about buying another Doblo in the coming spring, and we were wanting the take out the rear seats and turn it into a sort of 'make shift' camper.
But the nice man at Fiat said NO!.:bang: ..it would make the car weaker, and should not do it.(n)

Any thoughts on this?
I know you can buy Doblo campervans ready made...at a price:eek: . This way seemed a lot easier.:)

Tiggs

You could try phoning Danbury and see what they say.
I can't see how it would make the car structurally weaker, the rear seats fold up anyway. Maybe he thinks you're going to cut out bits of bodywork?

Hoping to get to their next open day in November...should be interesting......

Tiggs

Don't know if this may resolve your problem, see link

http://translate.google.com/transla...ctric+box&hl=en&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-36,GGLG:en

This is a translation from a German company. We use it in our Doblo as a load divider, but it would negate the need to remove the seats. A couple of camping mats and hey presto a bed in the back.
You buy your own wood and follow the kit instructions. I have a best endeavour translation somewhere if needed.

Then theres the legal side of things....:mad:

If we removed back seats, then put a bed/settee type thing in at rear, free standing...would that be ok I wonder.
It would not be fixed down or have seat belts.

I am not interested in cupboards/sinks/cookers...just somewhere comfy to stretch out.;)

Tiggs

There might be something untoward going on to fit extra bits in.. the translated German from the Doblo specific second page of the "Dielectric box" site says this:

The deck area has, in the middle of a small gathering, ironing on the back side of the rear seat rises to about 5cm width and height 4cm out or must be removed.
The rear seat can remain in the car.

Quite what is means is beyond me, but the "must be removed" is possibly the issue.

Talking to another dealer,:) locally, we were told that there would be no problem in removing the seats. In fact you could remove all or either the single or double.(y)
Seats have to be removed for certain conversions such as wheelchair ramps.

Tiggs

Strangest thing I've ever heard.
There is no reason why they have to be there. I have mine out regularly ;)!
If he's talking about there being added rigidity/strength then how does the Cargo version, that the car version is obviously based on, manage?

If you fold the seats forward they are connected to the car with a total of FOUR, one inch long Allen bolts. Is that gonna help in a roll over or side impact?

Think he was just being contrary~wise or perhaps he didn't want to admit that he had no idea (common FIAT salesman problem)?

I can just see it now... the FIAT designers sitting around discussing structural rigidity, "don't bother with the side impact bars boys, we've got seat cushions!".

Seriously, in the two and a half years we've had Dougal there's never been any strange movements or wobbling coming from the car with the seats sitting in the spare room at home.

Alex
Spirito di Doblo
(40% A.B.V.)

. I have mine out regularly ;)!

If you fold the seats forward they are connected to the car with a total of FOUR, one inch long Allen bolts. I

Alex
Spirito di Doblo
(40% A.B.V.)

Alex, could I just request a little more info re your answer as quoted in part above-- are there any bits eg nuts,washers etc at the rear,beneath the floor that can go missing, or do the bolts just house into a threaded receptacle permanently welded to the floorpan? i want to remove at least my single seat,but don't want to lose any important bits!! Thanks in advance.

John

Salesmen..............mmmhhhh. I think its an accountability thing. They dont want to be sued for telling you that you could modify the vehicle. I agree about removing the seats not being a problem. In my Cargo I have done the opposite. When I bought it, I removed the cab partition, and added a bench seat from a Landy Defender that a mate wanted to get rid of. Its a bit agricultural. I would like to get the proper split seat so that it looks better, but alas, we don't get the model range here that you continentals do. We only get the Cargo, and there are so few of them that you can't even find parts at a junk yard. Don't get me started on the local agents! It took a month and a half for them to import the right gearbox parts!! I don't even want to ask what a split seat would cost, and how long it would take! Im thinking of building in a drivers and passanger seat from something like a jetta in the rear. Then at least the kids can tip the seats back and sleep on long trips.

PS: In my Cargo, all the seat fixing holes and bolts were there. They just disguised them as cargo fixing eyes. The nuts are welded to the body underneath, so when you undo them, you don't have to worry about the nuts going missing. Our Doblos are built in Turkey, as I'm sure yours are, so there shouldn't be a difference.

Off topic a little now.
Did you know if you remove your back seats in any car, when you cross that big bridge between England and Wales....they can charge you as a van, and thats double the money!:bang:

Tiggs

Off topic a little now.
Did you know if you remove your back seats in any car, when you cross that big bridge between England and Wales....they can charge you as a van, and thats double the money!:bang:

Tiggs

:eek:
really?
They don't charge you for coming back, so if you were picking up a load in Wales you could go out as a car and come back as a van for free (y)

Back