Styling Rear door glass

Currently reading:
Styling Rear door glass

I've been busy today fitting replica windows to the rear doors.
They are made out of black 5mm acrylic,i smoothed off all the edges and they look like real glass!
The van looks so much better now at the back end,the solid doors always bothered me as there were a few dents left by the previous owner.
My brother has a vw caddy, and we as they use glass the principle is the same.
I will wash LUIGI tomorrow and i'll put some photos up so you can see for yourself.
Luigi(y)

They are made out of black 5mm acrylic, I smoothed off all the edges and they look like real glass!
The van looks so much better now at the back end, the solid doors always bothered me as there were a few dents left by the previous owner.
My brother has a VW Caddy, and as they use glass the principle is the same.
I will wash LUIGI tomorrow and I'll put some photos up so you can see for yourself.
Luigi (y)

Can you also expand a bit more on your 'rear view' system using the mini cam in the lock barrel - like which cam it is (source) and how you linked to the screen at the front please? Also perhaps how alteration and mounting in the removed lock was done. I presume you use the internal remote locking to open/close (lock/unlock) the rear door..

R-V-M

The cam i used is one that is designed to fit into a hole drilled into a surface like a bumber for eg, same as you would do if fitting reversing sensors.
On looking at the possible ways to do this i looked at the rear lock barrel,i never have used it as i have remote c/locking,removing the barrel was easy and found that the cam fitted in perfectly.
power for the cam is supplied by the reversing light feed,the signal from the cam is fed to the front and is connected to a 9'' pda which has a av input,when i select reverse the pda gets a signal and switches to cam mode.
Ido intent to do a reverse over ride so i can manually select the camera to view whats going on behind.
As to were i got the cam from i'll have to hunt for a link for it as it was a while ago.
the lock was not hacked about to do this mod,and and the barrel can be re-inserted if need be.
Hope this info helps
Luigi

Re: Rear door glass and Window Tinting

I will wash LUIGI tomorrow and I'll put some photos up so you can see for yourself.
Luigi(y)

Can we see - can we see???

One Q on a similar subject, Window Tints. I can source tint film on the Bay of Evil and there are firms I see, such as Pro-Tint.
Will they use film to do the job and if so, do they remove the glass and cover the whole sheet with a film (or spray it?) or just a templated cut-out that goes on the glass you can see down to the gutter on the drivers/pax doors? I think I'd be tempted to take the glass out if it's not too onerous a task then I'll know it's a proper job.
I also wondered if it's worth finding a glass firm who would fit laminated glass to the driver's/pax doors but maybe it's too thick for the application. One supplier of tinted film says it has similar properties to putting laminated glass in as the film holds the glass together if some muppet decided to trash your side windows - hence asking if you cover all the glass with an applied tint.

The Law

copper.jpg
The law in the UK states that you have to allow a minimum of 70% of light through the front driver and passenger side windows meaning that you can legally install the 70% tint on these windows unless the glass is already tinted. You must not use any of the darker tints unless the vehicle is specifically for off road use such as show cars. The rear windows can be as dark as you want as there is no law about these windows.
cartint_graphic.jpg

R-V-M

Postscript to my own question here on side-laminated glass.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
As fare as i'm aware, the driver and passenger door glass as it is in its standard tinted form is as dark as you can legally go, all other glass if fitted can be as dark as you like, as i have stated before, my back door glass is black perspex over the the solid panel,so looks like limo tint glass, imust remember to get some pics on here for you to see.
And a pic of installed rear view camera in the rear door lock barrel.
Luigi

As fare as i'm aware, the driver and passenger door glass as it is in its standard tinted form is as dark as you can legally go, all other glass if fitted can be as dark as you like, as i have stated before, my back door glass is black perspex over the the solid panel,so looks like limo tint glass, imust remember to get some pics on here for you to see.
And a pic of installed rear view camera in the rear door lock barrel.
Luigi

Any chance of seeing all these mods sometime Luigi?

My Fiorino arrives at 1pm tomorrow.. :cool: I saw it in the compound this evening as I drove home.

R-V-M

?.....as I have stated before, my back door glass is black perspex over the the solid panel,so looks like limo tint glass, I must remember to get some pics on here for you to see.

..And a pic of installed rear view camera in the rear door lock barrel.
Luigi

What do I have to do to get you to post these??!! Really want to see...

I've earmarked 2 items on eBay; this camera (yours I believe) and today found the ideal replacement rear view mirror here which is a monitor for the camera. The previous camera I'd selected (but not bought, just 'watching') stated in the description that 'returns due to picture quality are not good reason for refund' so that rather suggests they're poor quality if buyers have been sending them back!

So Sr. Luigi, put your cup of tea down or pause Wimblers for a few minutes and nip outside and take a few pics for us.
Can you say what happens to the lock mechanics on removal of the barrel because surely there's some interconnects within for the barrel actuator on the handle to prevent lifting the handle operating the latch. Not the remote solenoid as that does its bit further up the handle into the latch/lock mechanics.

R-V-M

Back