Technical rear axle jacking

Currently reading:
Technical rear axle jacking

azamat

Hi,

I would like to ask if its possible to jack Ducato in the center of the rear axle, if not what can potentially get wrong ?
Thank you for you answer

I am sure that I have read Fiat warning against jacking under the axle beam. I think that what I read may have been in the vehicle handbook, but it could have been in eLearn. The reason given was that there was a risk of bending the axle. Not something that you want to do.
My technique is to jack under, or close to, the point where the springs are fixed to the axle.

I am sure that I have read Fiat warning against jacking under the axle beam. I think that what I read may have been in the vehicle handbook, but it could have been in eLearn. The reason given was that there was a risk of bending the axle. Not something that you want to do.
My technique is to jack under, or close to, the point where the springs are fixed to the axle.
Agreed. Years ago I used to jack under the diff of some solid axles but certainly not nowadays. Even jacking under subframes I use a substantial piece of timber to avoid damage. Any axle, be it containing a diff or just a straight beam will not work so well if it’s banana shaped. Even jacking under some subframes I use a substantial piece of timber to spread the load. If it’s a motor home then you would need to be even more careful as it will have the extra loadings of the fixtures and fittings.

Only Jack the standard axles at the sides under suspension mounts, not the shocks, and use a block or a Jack with rubber/cushion insert…never in the middle, even if it’s a 4x4 version

Thank you all for your responses. Our local towbar workshop jacked my camper van ducato in the middle od the axle, everything looks good, do you think that i should check geometry just like a prevention?

I wouldn't put the jack in the centre of the rear axle either.
Nevertheless, If 'everything looks good' then you seem to have got away with it.
But you could hold a straight edge against the axle beam to check its still reasonably straight just to be sure?
I can't think of a better way to check its not damaged the geometry

I wouldn't put the jack in the centre of the rear axle either.
Nevertheless, If 'everything looks good' then you seem to have got away with it.
But you could hold a straight edge against the axle beam to check its still reasonably straight just to be sure?
I can't think of a better way to check its not damaged the geometry
Good idea. I will try long bubble lever. It is a simple rear axle without diff. So i guess worst thing can be small slope of rear wheels, which will show as excessive wearing of rubber.

I suppose a slight camber wouldn't make much difference - you get that with wishbone suspension anyway.
If the axle tube was seriously bent I would be more concerned with it twisting the leaf springs sideways.
I've been thinking about this.
This flimsy rear axle tube is a common arrangement on FWD vans - When the van is not fully loaded I have put the jack in the centre of the rear axle tube using a spreader beam. It doesn't need to be very long - just a short beam makes a huge difference because its dividing the load into 2 small pinch points instead of one big one.
But I have never done it with the Ducato because the axle tube is too low for my wooden spreader beam to go under. (A disadvantage of the Ducato's otherwise excellent low floor)
I guess a towbar workshop would be well equipped so I wonder if they have some sort of spreader beam - like a bit of hefty steel channel that fits between the jack and the axle tube to spread the load. It might not be noticeable. One might easily see the jack in the middle of the axle but not the channel between the jack and the axle when its fitting around the axle.

Last edited:
Back