Technical rear anti roll bar

Currently reading:
Technical rear anti roll bar

thank you all so much for the info!
*cough* thanks button *cough*
lol haha :D:D

There is a lot of opinions about anti roll bars. I'm currently in the beginning of building a race car (Uno), and I'm not going to use ARB in the front. I'm compensating for that with stiff springs (starting with 500lbs on front, 600lbs on rear, they are cheap to change). I have plans for stiffening the rear axle of some sort, either with an ARB, or just stiffening the axle. This will help getting lift on the inner rear wheel during turns, which means that there's only 3 wheels left to split the weight. An ARB in the front will cause the front inner wheel to lift off, and start spinning. This setup will probably be quite nervous in high speed corners, but work well in low speed corners.

-Vegard

you wont be able to get the inner rear wheel lifting with those spring rates, if this is what you are aiming to do, i assume you realise that this wont be very progressive at all - it will grip,you will do something to uspet it, then it will try very hard to make you cack yourself.

an arb will lift the front inner wheel, however i dont see this as a problem in a race car, if you have a sensative right foot. unless you are only doing tight slow corners wheelspin on the inside wheel out of corners wont really be that much of a problem.
If it is, this is the job of a limited slip differential - this should then be a priority.

if you want a nervous track car thats quick throught the bends, the old trick with the unos is to have mental rear spring rates (you have this covered at 600lb/in!:D) and softer springs on the front. 300ish?

this means the back end lifts off the floor when you lift or brake this = no understeer. you then bring the throttle in to grip the rear again.
you will spin until you get the hang of it. but its a very quick way to work the uno round a track.

why do you want the car to be quick only in the slow bits?
what tyres wil u be using?
any pictures / a thread?

Great thread!!

I take it you have coilovers on your race car and 2.25" springs - can i ask what make are they, and where did you get them from, i want some! :)

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Fiat-Uno-Turbo-Quaife-ATB-Differential

I can't get my head around the sense of adding an ARB ONLY to the rear beam in order to solely stiffen it - why did Ford not make it stiffer in the first place - it would be cheaper and could have more torsional stiffeness (or the required amount) for less equivalent weight...?

Unless the NA cars didn't need it (or it would not suit their intended ride) and it was cheaper for this reason for Ford to di it that way - thoughts?

Cheers

Tom

The spring rates i have now are only a place to start. I will experiment with those when the car is ready. Do you mean the spring rate in the front is to stiff to get lift on the inner rear wheel? I landed on 500/600 after a lot of searching on the internet, among other sites on Fiat Challenge. A problem is that most others don't relocate the rear springs, which means they use a lot stiffer springs (rear axle get moment of force(right term?)). So I just bought some 600's and see how they act. They only cost 15£ at rallydesign.co.uk :)

You are right about an lsd, but if I can get along without one I will try. This is a low budget racer. ;) Engine will only have 100-120hp the first couple of seasons.

I'm sure I'm gonna do a lot of spins, but I hope to master it, and then beat some Alfas. :D

I haven't started a thread about the car yet, as I would like to get some work done before I start one. Status now is that wheels/tires have been ordered (Comp CXR 13x8, 235/45.13 Kumho V70), coilovers are almost finished, and just started widening the arches. I will start a project thread soon. Hopefully my car won't be fast just in the slow bits, but the tracks we race here have mostly low speed turns. Can't wait to start racing! :D Now, don't let me hijack this thread. :)

errr... Did anyone notice my post? I know I am not from the UK nor I am a user that posts a lot, but i did post pictures of my rear axle with a setup similar to the rs turbo. No one gave it credit though.

Don't you like the result? :confused:

yes we did mate!! the thing I like about the golf ARB is how it is attached to the beam, as u don't need to make a single whole or modification, a pic a bit more in detail will help a lot! Another thing I red somewhere is that the arb from a golf is not stiff enough (and not long enough) so the final result is not that dramatic, did u ever try it???

by the way, don't worry about not being english mate, I'm not either!haha lol.

Back