Technical Really Bad Knocking Noise When Turning....?

Currently reading:
Technical Really Bad Knocking Noise When Turning....?

MikeSporting

Evening All..... My car failed it's MOT on Friday with what turned out the be a badly cracked Manifold Cat. Anyways, I picked the car up today and it's now passed the MOT but a terrible Thumping Knocking noise has appeared. This weren't there before and it only appears when turning left. The noise is definitely coming from the passenger rear side. It sounds like the exhaust could be loose or the back box could be knocking against something?

That's what I'd be feeling considering the work just done. Drop it back to them if you can replicate the noise by shaking the exhaust from the rear of the car. It may sound different from outside of course but the exhaust should have free movement underneath to allow for engine movement etc.

to make it easier for welding - the repair man could have dropped the exhaust mani out - which means he could have disturbed the exhaust natural hang when refitting

Whats odd is the fact its only when turning left, which almost sounds CV / Diff issues

But without hearing the noise - and assuming its the rear then its going to be exhaust or a knackered bushing on a shock

Ziggy

I've taken the car back in this morning to the garage!A drove down a old cobbled street and the noise were terrible! Going over speed bumps, bumps in the road and going left round a corner brings this awful thumping noise?

I've taken the car back in this morning to the garage!A drove down a old cobbled street and the noise were terrible! Going over speed bumps, bumps in the road and going left round a corner brings this awful thumping noise?

Exhausts can cause terrible noises as it smash's into the bodywork

My rear backbox is terrible over speedbumps, it sounds like i've just ran over a brick

But allas, moving the backbox melted my bumper, or it bangs more
A new hanger didnt sort mine either

But if it was okay before - it should be okay now

Ziggy

biggest problem with punto exhausts is one of the aftermarket ones (cheap) is similar to another car but there is a very clear difference. the original back box is oval ( as is the new one ) but the oval is horizontal and the replacement one is oval vertical, yes it does fit but is so close to the underside of the car every little pot hole or speed bump causes it to bang on the floor, drove me mad. now bought a panda and had a new exhaust fitted and is like the original one, would not have accepted it box was not horizontal

Well I got my car back and it turned out to be backbox causing all the noise. They replaced the rubber holding it in place and now all is well, best £5 I've spent on the car!

Back