Technical Rattling Noise when Clutch is Released. Help!

Currently reading:
Technical Rattling Noise when Clutch is Released. Help!

Hi everyone,

Was leisurely driving my 1968 500L and this noise started out of no where. I've attached a short video for you to hear. Any help or guidance on this issue would be appreciated!

https://files.fm/u/z75wd2hky

Dan Lavalle
If noise in neutral and only goes away when clutch totally disengaged, then in gearbox. Idler gears etc. Check oil level first. Another clue is if raising the engine speed with foot on accelerator slightily makes it go away.
If just resting your foot on the clutch pedal but not disengaging the gears/gearbox alters the noise, then clutch release bearing or pressure plate fingers etc.

If noise in neutral and only goes away when clutch totally disengaged, then in gearbox. Idler gears etc. Check oil level first. Another clue is if raising the engine speed with foot on accelerator slightily makes it go away.
If just resting your foot on the clutch pedal but not disengaging the gears/gearbox alters the noise, then clutch release bearing or pressure plate fingers etc.
Hey Bugsymike,

Thank you for taking the time to watch the video and provide feedback. I should add that the noise happens when the clutch is disengaged, if the clutch is pressed there's no noise. The noise is present in first, second and fourth gear but strangely enough not in third gear.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Dan Lavalle

Hey Bugsymike,

Thank you for taking the time to watch the video and provide feedback. I should add that the noise happens when the clutch is disengaged, if the clutch is pressed there's no noise. The noise is present in first, second and fourth gear but strangely enough not in third gear.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Dan Lavalle
The critical part is if the noise happens whether the clutch totally disengaged, or only partially say with foot resting on clutch pedal .
If noise still there when clutch pedal totally pressed to the floor, that should rule out the gearbox, as the gears should not be turning at all at that point.
If foot just lightily resting on the clutch pedal makes the noise, possibly with a vibration or harsh feel under your foot, then I would say clutch assembly.
I assume this is the only times you get the noise.
So if noisy, say in neutral, but goes away when clutch pedal pressed to the floor, then gearbox faulty.

Hey Dan, could be a few issues. First, if i understand correctly, the noise is only present when the clutch is engaged , and goes away when disengaged (pedal pressed).? just a bit confused because disengaged, and pressed can mean the same thing.

Either way could be a few potential sources. If its only present when disengaged/pressed in clutch pedal, could be the clutch finger thrust bearing is toast. 2nd Sounds potentially like a worn input shaft bearing. When the clutch pad is freewheeling, and has minimal load, tied with a worn or missing inputshaft locating bushing. The input shaft can rattle around and make some nasty noises.
Other then that there could be internal teeth wear/bearings, and possibly a shift fork/linkage adjustment issue. Trans not fully out of gear, or riding the edge of a gear in neutral.

Have you checked fluid levels in the trans at all?

Fyi. this is the 500L sub forum for the modern 500 series cars. Troubleshooting for the vintage 500's is typically in the general "classic" forum. All of us classic nuts hang out in there ;)

Back