Technical Rattling/humming/flat tyre - like noise from my 500 Twinair

Currently reading:
Technical Rattling/humming/flat tyre - like noise from my 500 Twinair

It is extremely annoying and disappointing that the car yard had one week to find problems, yet they didn't even bother driving the car and listen to the noise. I am not sure if they are competent enough to put the gearbox back into the car properly.

Sometimes faults are hard to find, especially ones like this. I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but it's the nature of the beast.

You can order brake parts on eBay for a shedload cheaper than you can get them in Australia.

plus you don't need to replace anything, just put some copper grease in the reaction frames.

Thanks, will be doing the copper grease bit ASAP but will eventually need disc pads (and probably discs in time)

On the brake parts, I have had a look at a few of the eBay sites but none of them seem to have brake pads for the TA just the 1.2 and the 1.4
One of them had solid discs plus pads for just under 70 pounds (keyboard doesn't have a pound sign - only $) for a pair - couldn't imagine what these would cost here.:rolleyes:

Would you have link to an eBay supplier who has the TA pads ?

Any idea if it is possible to fit ventilated discs to the front of the TA without changing the caliper or mounting frame ?

Thanks, will be doing the copper grease bit ASAP but will eventually need disc pads (and probably discs in time)

On the brake parts, I have had a look at a few of the eBay sites but none of them seem to have brake pads for the TA just the 1.2 and the 1.4
One of them had solid discs plus pads for just under 70 pounds (keyboard doesn't have a pound sign - only $) for a pair - couldn't imagine what these would cost here.:rolleyes:

Would you have link to an eBay supplier who has the TA pads ?

Any idea if it is possible to fit ventilated discs to the front of the TA without changing the caliper or mounting frame ?

You'd have to change calipers and stuff over....

To get a pound sign hold down the alt key, type 0163 and then let go of the alt key, as an ex Aussie I still do this even though there's a pound sign on my keyboard :)

OK twinair stuff isn't all that common, but 1.2 stuff can be had every cheaply, by the time you need pads and discs they'll be common don't worry :)

360maxi, you sound like a car savvy person. By any chance, are you a mechanic?

360maxi, you sound like a car savvy person. By any chance, are you a mechanic?
I'm not a mechanic no :) You're in Perth judging from your posts I gather? If not disregard the rest of this post.

Here are a couple of REALLY NICE garages run by Italians who love Italian cars.

I don't know if the garage I've linked to below is still run by an Italian guy called Frank, but they took care of my dads 131, my brothers 128 coupe and my other brothers 105 series Alfa coupe.

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=-31.9...=3DOdhxHjBoZmQr9AIQ195w&cbp=12,179.54,,0,4.82

Or you could go to Cecchele motors

If old man Cecchele (aslo a Frank) is still around he may gob in your face if you try and bring a crappy little 500 into his establishment. I kid of course, but don't expect any fawning over your mass produced car if you go there.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Cecchele+F+%26+E+Motors,+Palmerston+Street,+Perth,+Western+Australia,+Australia&hl=en&ll=-31.943932,115.856887&spn=0.000013,0.008256&sll=-31.944033,115.868973&sspn=0.009186,0.016512&oq=cecchele&t=h&hq=Cecchele+F+%26+E+Motors,&hnear=Palmerston+St,+Perth+Western+Australia,+Australia&z=18&layer=c&cbll=-31.944011,115.856836&panoid=CVlAc-X9HXG5N6ajOl2aiw&cbp=12,308.13,,0,6.08

You'd have to change calipers and stuff over....

Thanks
Thought that would be the case as the discs are a lot wider

To get a pound sign hold down the alt key, type 0163 and then let go of the alt key, as an ex Aussie I still do this even though there's a pound sign on my keyboard :)

£ £ £ love it - cute

OK twinair stuff isn't all that common, but 1.2 stuff can be had every cheaply, by the time you need pads and discs they'll be common don't worry :)
Thanks again nice to know it will happen

I'm not a mechanic no :) You're in Perth judging from your posts I gather? If not disregard the rest of this post.

I don't know if the garage I've linked to below is still run by an Italian guy called Frank, but they took care of my dads 131, my brothers 128 coupe and my other brothers 105 series Alfa coupe.

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=-31.9...=3DOdhxHjBoZmQr9AIQ195w&cbp=12,179.54,,0,4.82

If old man Cecchele (aslo a Frank) is still around he may gob in your face if you try and bring a crappy little 500 into his establishment. I kid of course, but don't expect any fawning over your mass produced car if you go there.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Cecchele+F+%26+E+Motors,+Palmerston+Street,+Perth,+Western+Australia,+Australia&hl=en&ll=-31.943932,115.856887&spn=0.000013,0.008256&sll=-31.944033,115.868973&sspn=0.009186,0.016512&oq=cecchele&t=h&hq=Cecchele+F+%26+E+Motors,&hnear=Palmerston+St,+Perth+Western+Australia,+Australia&z=18&layer=c&cbll=-31.944011,115.856836&panoid=CVlAc-X9HXG5N6ajOl2aiw&cbp=12,308.13,,0,6.08
Cecchele motors is a fantastic place btw (if it still exists that is), I turned to buy some brake pads for a 1.6 litre 1977 131 Mirafiori on a Saturday morning back in 2001 and Frank was manning the parts desk himself and walked out back and picked up a set of pads off the shelf much like you'd expect if you walked into a Repco and asked for some pads for a VT Commodore.

Like I said though, don't expect someone to fawn over your car, but do expect your car to be tended to properly and dealt with by someone who has never worked on anything other than a Commodore or a Falcon.

My brother needed to have the water pump on his 306 done back in Perth when I was there before Christmas, getting anyone to do it was a job and a half, they only want to work on Fords, Holdens, Japanese and Korean stuff, everything else is perceived to be trouble and hard to work on.

I'd have given it a go if my brother had ordered the parts in, but he didn't.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Ce...=CVlAc-X9HXG5N6ajOl2aiw&cbp=12,308.13,,0,6.08

Incidently, for any Perth members I would trust either of those garages (assuming the one in Highgate is still owned by the same guy) to service my 500 over Barbagallo or what ever idiots Fiat have put in charge now.

Thinking back there are a couple of other place I'll recommend later, one in Osborne Park and another in Malaga I think?

Thank you for your recommendation, 360maxi. I will visit one of garages you suggested in Perth.

Thank you for your recommendation, 360maxi. I will visit one of garages you suggested in Perth.

No probs. The only one my family have never used is Autodelta, I would heartily recommend the place on Brisbane street (If it's still in the same hands) as a first port of call and then probably Cecchele's after that purely because you'll be able to look at some proper Fiat's while you're there and Cileberti after that. I suspect Autodelta will probably charge an arm or a leg.

Obviously the best thing to do would be to try and find out as much information about what's causing the fault first and try and get it done under warranty, but if it costs you a few bucks to get someone competent to grease up the pads or something then it's money well spent I guess :) perhaps UFI will be charitable and do it for half the labour costs the others charge :p

The car is 5 months old, done only 5000 kms. The car yard should fix the problems for free.

Thank you for your kind offer. I will ask you for more advice if the car yard can't fix the issue tomorrow.

I picked up my car this morning. The problem has been fixed but the car yard reckon they couldn't find causes and they couldn't hear the noise. A mechanic ,who looked after the car, did a test drive with me and told me that he rotated tyres and updated engine management software. He didn't pull the gearbox out even though the service advisor told me that it was taken out. The mechanic was more attentive and empathetic than the service advisor. I am happy that I don't hear the noise anymore. Thanks to everyone who contributed their thoughts and ideas. Special thank you to 360maxi.

Back