General Rattling from the steering colour?

Currently reading:
General Rattling from the steering colour?

penny001

Hi recently there's a rattling sound that sounds like its coming from somewhere inside the steering column? Sometimes it's loud and sometimes not if there at all. It happens in idle or at low speeds or on bumpy roads. I had the tracking done and they said the pads were loose. There is a like tic tic sound which can be heard when driving at all speeds and that's come from the drivers side wheel.but I'm pretty sure my car has brake discs not pads. The car drives straight the steering wheel doesn't shake as far as I can tell and the brake pedal doesn't shake or feel any different. I do know that both suspension arms are on their way out and the ride is getting a bit bumpier but nothing major. Any ideas what the noise could be?

have you checked the bolts are tight under the column near the foot pedals theres a chance it might be loose

can you shake the steering when you not driving

Last edited:
Yeah but no more then normal it locks and the bolts that I can see seem quite tight

Well not shake the steering wheel I can move it slightly lol

get a garage to check the steering rack might have something come loose but maybe someone on here will be able to tell you what it is if they had same problem

Hi recently there's a rattling sound that sounds like its coming from somewhere inside the steering column? Sometimes it's loud and sometimes not if there at all. It happens in idle or at low speeds or on bumpy roads. I had the tracking done and they said the pads were loose. There is a like tic tic sound which can be heard when driving at all speeds and that's come from the drivers side wheel.but I'm pretty sure my car has brake discs not pads. The car drives straight the steering wheel doesn't shake as far as I can tell and the brake pedal doesn't shake or feel any different. I do know that both suspension arms are on their way out and the ride is getting a bit bumpier but nothing major. Any ideas what the noise could be?

Erm the brake pads should be able to move - only a fraction
When you say brake disc's you also have Brake pads

The punto on the rear has Rear Drums, and Rear Shoes

The Pads rub on the disc
the shoes rub on the drums
That friction is your brakes

Anyway - by the clutch pedal you will see a shaft disappearing into the floor
This is the steering coloumns shaft, the bolt down there sometimes becomes a tad loose, a little tickle tighten should sort that - if that is the cause

Some punto's are known to have a poorly manufactured Steering coloumn - the part from the motorised parts into the floor, make a clunk, mine has this, there is no issue with it, just annoying sometimes

Ziggy

So If the pads are moving a fair bit that could be causing the rattling sound and I'm just hearing it in front of me when driving and it's not likely to be the steering? The sound is like metal objects vibrating against each other

Back