General Ramps or axel stands?

Currently reading:
General Ramps or axel stands?

jammydodger87

Which are better to use for working under the car? Some say ramps feel safer, some say axel stands...Just wondering as I want to get some for my partner

i use both but i feel safer when the car is on ramps as i dont 100% trust axel stands when im right under the car

ramps can be a pita on the front of these cars, you may need wooden planks to get up. reversing to raise the rear is easier

I personally nearly always use stands, even though i do have ramps.

for ramps you need the wheels on for a start
you often need a second person or some mechanism to stop them slipping back
you can only raise one end at a time

stands alleviate all these problems, and if positioned properly, are very safe.

just get a decent hydraulic jack to go along with them...not the spare wheel or some cheap scissor jack ;)

Kristian

Well he doesn't have a cinq, I do, he has an MR2, but no doubt he'll be working on mine too.

Mine won't get up on ramps, unless you make mini ramps and ease it up.

Axel stands and trolley jack.

Even then i have to do it bit-by-bit and get bricks under the wheels to get clearance.

Ok cool, thanks. I think I'll get the stands, as his car is quite low, so ramps might not be too great. I can pick some up from Halfrauds for £18.
Is there anything you can use with them to make them safer?

Ok cool, thanks. I think I'll get the stands, as his car is quite low, so ramps might not be too great. I can pick some up from Halfrauds for £18.
Is there anything you can use with them to make them safer?

Once you've got the car up on the stands, make sure all the stand feet are on the ground, then grab the car and give it a shoogle* to make sure the stands are OK.

Cheers

D

*Shoogle:- Noun, Scots. to rock back and forth with violence.

ive got both and never used the ramps, as it wont go up them. But even jacking it up for axel stands ive got to use the crappy scissor jack first so i can get me trolley jack under the front bumper:rolleyes:

I use both for different jobs, if working on the wheels brakes you need axle stands and a decent jack, better clearance on ramps we use a mini ramp and you need a 2nd person to guide and stop sliding. Both are fine as long as you have somewhere flat to work.

Back