General Quote for 18,000 mile service

Currently reading:
General Quote for 18,000 mile service

I'm guessing what I'm wanting to ask fits into this thread. I didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm slightly confussled. My car had it's 2nd service done back last October (I got the car last November) but annoyingly the mileage wasn't noted down in the book, although my car does show around 3500 miles left until the next service. It's nearly got 27,000 miles on the clock so I'm quite a bit away from the 36k service as I only average around 150 miles a week. I'm not sure about what service it needs? I know the service schedule is either every 18,000 miles or 2 years.

Shall I just take it for an oil, oil filter change along with a brake fluid change to keep it going until early next year for an early 36k service? Or...something else haha? As I've said, I'm confused so if I'm sounding a bit dumb, I apologise. Suggestions will be appreciated :)
Since you doing around 8k p.a. You could delay the yearly service for a bit longer. Reckon that your front brake pads (& possible discs) will need replacing along with the tappers needing adjusting.
If you're missing the mileage on the service book you can request a copy of the service record from the last Fiat garage who serviced it to keep the records intact.
Re the brake fluid it should be changed at 2 years but many only get a chance to replace it before 3 years. You might be in for a full fat service on your next one.

Yes, I should've enquired about car's last service as now it's nearing the time for things to be done, not having a mileage written down is making things hard to gauge. I'll phone the dealer tomorrow about it.

Reckon that your front brake pads (& possible discs) will need replacing along with the tappers needing adjusting.

I think the pads at least need changing as when I've had situations having to stop abruptly, the brakes haven't felt as sharp as they could be. To my eyes, the disks look fine but I'll probably order a set anyway.

Do you think I should delay the full service for when the car is due its first MOT in January?

I'm slightly confussled. My car had it's 2nd service done back last October (I got the car last November) but annoyingly the mileage wasn't noted down in the book, although my car does show around 3500 miles left until the next service. It's nearly got 27,000 miles on the clock so I'm quite a bit away from the 36k service as I only average around 150 miles a week. I'm not sure about what service it needs? I know the service schedule is either every 18,000 miles or 2 years.

Shall I just take it for an oil, oil filter change along with a brake fluid change to keep it going until early next year for an early 36k service? Or...something else haha? As I've said, I'm confused so if I'm sounding a bit dumb, I apologise. Suggestions will be appreciated :)

They'll obviously be a few opinions on this. Brake fluid should have been done at the two year point according to the service schedule. A good independant may not charge much more than about 40 quid (depending on where you live of course!) to change the fluid outside of a service schedule, just make sure it is recorded in the service log. (To put things in perspective, the brake fluid on my Cadillac was changed this year using genuine GM fluid. 40 minute job, which cost me £40). Spark plugs might be past their best at 11 or 12k on a 1.2 and probably advisable to change at that mileage and not 18k intervals. As loveshandbags posted, brake discs and pads will most likely need to be inspected at the least to make sure all is well.

If doing 6k or less a year, then Fiat do offer a low mileage service plan, oil, oil filter and pollen filter and general healthcare check, but clearly, a good independant can probably do it cheaper. Looking at your posted mileage, you are exceeding this mileage anyway. Our own POP had the low mileage service done last February and Stoneacre charged us £82 inc vat.

Think carefully about diagnostic hook up's (if offered, check you won't be charged extra for this during a service, sometimes (allegedly) included in the cost but after the checks I did with at least six dealers earlier this year, the sums just didn't add up with some, with a £60 difference over the cost of a service from one dealer over another. This seemed to make sense when the dealers who wanted more, admitted that they charged £60 for an ordinary diagnostic hook-up but some then claimed that the hook-up was included at no extra cost in the price of the service! Very odd! I would still ask the question anyway. Critical updates can be checked on VOSA website if there are any and obviously if yours needs one, then get it done.

If your car is over two years old now and you didn't purchase the 3rd year warranty for the princely sum of £27, I'm assuming you're out of warranty? I'd be thinking, as long as your oil is ok and your brakes aren't giving you too much cause for concern and there aren't any issues you have which you know should be sorted sooner rather than later, I'd probably wait until January and get the whole shebang, service/MOT done together, but obviously, it will be just after Chrimbo and you may have spent out! There are garages that offer a 'Free MOT' with a service (one of my local garages does anyway), but of course, I have no idea how much they charge for the service or the quality of the parts they use.

My car has 3rd year dealer warranty. I'm guessing the brake fluid hasn't been changed as the last service was done when the car was 22 months old. Again, I need to talk to the dealer. If it hasn't, I'll take it to an independent to change it and then inspect the disks and brakes and possibly change them if needed.

Thanks for your advise peeps. :) I'll leave the service until MOT time January which will also be done at an independent garage as Autoworld in Chesterfield are a rip off compared to this independent for labour rates!

If the last service was done when the car was 22 months old, I would be inclined to say, the dealer should have recommended changing the brake fluid anyway. Changing it eight weeks early is hardly going to make much difference, but I guess, if they are going to stick to the letter of the service......

Have you tried Stoneacre at Worksop? They were excellent with our own service and came in well under what everyone else wanted to charge us, Autoworld included. I would go back to Stoneacre again, but my local Alfa technician has come up with a good service quote for the second year and he's a lot closer to me.

Back