General quick Q's

Currently reading:
General quick Q's

bert9k

Hiya, am nearly back on the road after a lengthy box swap, but want to do a proper job all round so..
Are there any tips on removing the cambelt cover? I've tried to get at the lower rear nut but this is one tricky biscuit, also the exhaust from the manifold... do i need to remove the rad and try and prize apart with a screwdriver, seems rusted on...
Lastly is it advisable to add a smear of instant gasket when bolting the shaft gaiters back onto to the box?

thanks

b/

Hiya, am nearly back on the road after a lengthy box swap, but want to do a proper job all round so..
Are there any tips on removing the cambelt cover? I've tried to get at the lower rear nut but this is one tricky biscuit,
You just need patience with that one, although there are a couple of ways first you need a thin socket set. if you dont have that try pushing a small allen key into the smallest 10mm socket you have and use that, or prise the engine slightly towards the passenger side (not recommended) but will work.

If you have a small socket set you should get the nut started and once loose then use the socket only to turn the screw or you'll never get both out even when it is undone. It's often easier to get it from underneith as hand space is limited from the top

also the exhaust from the manifold... do i need to remove the rad and try and prize apart with a screwdriver, seems rusted on...
You mean removing the downpipe from the manifold there are three nuts once undone tap the joint lightly with a rubber mallet but be carefull as occasionally the manifold can crack, you shouldn't need to remove the rad and once again get it from underneith not the top
Lastly is it advisable to add a smear of instant gasket when bolting the shaft gaiters back onto to the box?
NO, the drivers side gaiter seal is the gaiter itself so if new just smear a little new oil round it before tightening the three little 10mm bolts

On the passenger side the gaiter is attached to an alloy block this block also has an oil seal, really this should have been replaced but again make sure that it's clean then use a little new oil round the seal before tightening the 4 allen bolts. (Did you remember to replace the metal seal that goes between the alloy block and the gearbox?

Last edited:
You just need patience with that one, although there are a couple of ways first you need a thin socket set. if you dont have that try pushing a small allen key into the smallest 10mm socket you have and use that, or prise the engine slightly towards the passenger side (not recommended) but will work.

If you have a small socket set you should get the nut started and once loose then use the socket only to turn the screw or you'll never get both out even when it is undone. It's often easier to get it from underneith as hand space is limited from the top

It's a complete slag to get at. I'd like 5 minutes in the car park with the bloke who signed that off as maintainable. No mates.

Cheers,

Plug

Back