General Quick Coil and Exhaust Questions

Currently reading:
General Quick Coil and Exhaust Questions

Greggers

has pooped his pants
Hi guys,

I've got a quick question about coils and exhausts for the Abarth...

Coils - I've got three Champion and two Beru coils in my car... are the Beru ones actually any good? Should I swap them out for two more Champions to match the others? Or are the Beru's okay and worth just waiting for a definite failure? I only ask as I'm suffering the classic cold juddery Selespeed gearbox (not bad though mind) which some people have fixed by changing their coils... I've just had the Selespeed end-of-line calibration and a clutch bleed done but it still occurs :( Opinions appreciated!

Exhaust - My Abarth is the 5 door version and I was wondering if the Schui back box would fit it and whether there would actually be any benefit from it, either in terms of bhp or sound?

Cheers all (y)

Hi guys,

I've got a quick question about coils and exhausts for the Abarth...

Coils - I've got three Champion and two Beru coils in my car... are the Beru ones actually any good? Should I swap them out for two more Champions to match the others? Or are the Beru's okay and worth just waiting for a definite failure? I only ask as I'm suffering the classic cold juddery Selespeed gearbox (not bad though mind) which some people have fixed by changing their coils... I've just had the Selespeed end-of-line calibration and a clutch bleed done but it still occurs :( Opinions appreciated!

Exhaust - My Abarth is the 5 door version and I was wondering if the Schui back box would fit it and whether there would actually be any benefit from it, either in terms of bhp or sound?

Cheers all (y)

the back box on the gp schui was made by omp, not great to be honest, hardly any different in terms of sound from standard, and as for bhp.....forget it.

coils are expensive, unless there actually dead i wouldnt bother, may not last as long as the champions, but if they work i wouldnt change em, i still got crappy bosch in mine:bang::bang::bang:

Hey Red. Cheers for replying... especially at 4 in the morning!

Are you running the standard backbox on yours? Or have you changed your exhaust system completely?

Last edited:
Hey Red. Cheers for replying... especially at 4 in the morning!

Are you running the standard backbox on yours? Or have you changed your exhaust system completely?

changed it completely, made a mistake when doing it though, i went from the second cat back, should have got that removed, as it does nothing apart from restrict.

right, gearbox

it may just need re-calobrating, needs doing every 3rd-4th service, every 36,000 miles or so, but you,ve had it re-calobrated so....:confused:

if its a coil pack you would get a vibrtion on idle, especially from cold;)

changed it completely, made a mistake when doing it though, i went from the second cat back, should have got that removed, as it does nothing apart from restrict.

right, gearbox

it may just need re-calobrating, needs doing every 3rd-4th service, every 36,000 miles or so, but you,ve had it re-calobrated so....:confused:

if its a coil pack you would get a vibrtion on idle, especially from cold;)

What back-box you running then? It looks pretty tasty and is the sort of look I'd like (y)

I changed my plugs recently to some Denso Iridiums (very nice btw, great engine response) and I've noticed more of a pronounced vibration after starting the car the other day. Now I doubt it's the plugs as it's not that likely that one's got an issue and Ive also set the gaps to 0.9mm as recommended. What I reckon is maybe the new plug is putting more of a strain on one of the coils and is showing up a failure that was slowly happening.

Whatcha think? Am I talking poop?

What back-box you running then? It looks pretty tasty and is the sort of look I'd like (y)

I changed my plugs recently to some Denso Iridiums (very nice btw, great engine response) and I've noticed more of a pronounced vibration after starting the car the other day. Now I doubt it's the plugs as it's not that likely that one's got an issue and Ive also set the gaps to 0.9mm as recommended. What I reckon is maybe the new plug is putting more of a strain on one of the coils and is showing up a failure that was slowly happening.

no sounds about right;)

exhaust is from custom chrome racing and the back box was the CCR900, there are loads of CCR places about, well priced, like powerflow but better quality(y)

these are the fitting places

http://www.custom-chrome.co.uk/bays.htm

http://www.custom-chrome.co.uk/shop...th=19&osCsid=37243e9d025b2b921ecced156e050feb

Last edited:
That looks really nice. I'm quite taken with it (y):D

So, when my exhaust goes (which I think isn't too far around the corner) what would you recommend I do in terms of replacing the exhaust? I'm particularly interested in which bits to keep and which to replace eg. the cats etc... Obviously I want it to be able to pass the MOT on emissions, but it would be great to have a good looking, good performing exhaust.... rather than the standard Abarth poop tube :D

Nice to see someone is around at 4am in the morning while I was :sleep:..well done red..(y)

That looks really nice. I'm quite taken with it (y):D

So, when my exhaust goes (which I think isn't too far around the corner) what would you recommend I do in terms of replacing the exhaust? I'm particularly interested in which bits to keep and which to replace eg. the cats etc... Obviously I want it to be able to pass the MOT on emissions, but it would be great to have a good looking, good performing exhaust.... rather than the standard Abarth poop tube :D

get the exhaust replaced from the flange on the down pipe, or get them to weld it on tho the felxi tube, but defo remove the second cat, its not needed and will pass an mot without it, it was only put in for the euro 4 emmisions in mainland europe at the time, we didnt have this when it came over as such can get away with it(y)

if you want noise, get a straight through (no middle silencer) if you want it a little bit noiser than standard then get an exhaust with the middle silencer included, this will be new not the one on there at the moment;)

Nice to see someone is around at 4am in the morning while I was :sleep:..well done red..(y)

you know me phil:D

one of those nights again:bang:

nice and warm through the day felt wonderful, then it rained:mad::bang:

and im on new tabs that i take once a wek and make you feel sick for the following 3-4days(n)

but there making my psoriasis and arthritis better so i can put up with them while my body learns, gona take up to 12 weeks for my body to get used to them:bang::yuck:

Well we all know about arthritis mate ..and at my age I just muddle through but at your age I feel sorry for you and the life you have in front of you ..your still young and have so much to do .. when you off to the ring ?

Well we all know about arthritis mate ..and at my age I just muddle through but at your age I feel sorry for you and the life you have in front of you ..your still young and have so much to do .. when you off to the ring ?

leave here friday morning, meet them at the travel lodge in dover then catch the ferry:woot::woot::yum::slayer::slayer:

cant wait:D:D

plenty of vids me thinks, then fix car when i come back:bang::)

leave here friday morning, meet them at the travel lodge in dover then catch the ferry:woot::woot::yum::slayer::slayer:

cant wait:D:D

plenty of vids me thinks, then fix car when i come back:bang::)

Good luck with trip and say hello to the others for me.. and above all have fun (y)

Right then... so I'm thinking that when the time comes, I can replace from number 3 on back then? Meaning get rid of the second cat (not needed) and replace the first and second silencers? (y)

Red, did you go for a middle silencer as well as the rear silencer?

Attachments

• 2024030.jpg
    2024030.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Right then... so I'm thinking that when the time comes, I can replace from number 3 on back then? Meaning get rid of the second cat (not needed) and replace the first and second silencers? (y)

Red, did you go for a middle silencer as well as the rear silencer?

i replaced number 5 and number 4, should have got rid of number 3 too, but hey ho.

mine is a straight bit of pipe from the cat to the back box, using the back box as a baffle, you need at least one to be inside the law(y) and a backbox is classed as a silencer:yum:

I reckon I'll go for the whole hog of 3,4 and 5 when the time comes. How loud is yours without the first silencer? I only want a slight enhancement on the standard burble... which I love to pieces (y)

I don't suppose you know if the 3door and the 5door share a common exhaust system do you?

Last edited:
I reckon I'll go for the whole hog of 3,4 and 5 when the time comes. How loud is yours without the first silencer? I only want a slight enhancement on the standard burble... which I love to pieces (y)

I don't suppose you know if the 3door and the 5door share a common exhaust system do you?

how loud is mine err...... is has been mentioned that it sounds like a planet restarting:(:D

turn you volume up :)

but i love it:yum::yum::yum::yum:

outside, pulling away

outside pulling away from about a 1/4 mile away

all on a private road of course

Last edited:
God that sounds good :D I think though... that it's possibly... ever so slightly... just a tad... a little bit too loud for me :D I think I might maintain two silencers in the system and my hearing :p

red devil,,,,:D:D:D,i to have herd this sound before. it was in 1977 when i was about 10 yrs old. it was when the DEATH STAR EXPLODED..:D,LIKE YOU GREGGERS IV'E GOT TO GET MINE DONE.......................

Well, this seems more pronounced now. The car seems to also jolt a bit when you're trying to drive smoothly. Eg. if you push the accelerator pedal position a bit to accelerate slowly and smoothly, then the car does a little jolt and then picks up...

I'm now wondering if maybe the plugs are at fault? Is 0.9mm the right gap for the Denso Iridiums? Is a coil going up the spout? Was putting Denso's in a mistake as maybe they're putting too much strain on the coils?

Might it be worht doing an ECU reset?

Opinions welcome! (y)

Last edited:
Back