Technical QUESTION: Timing Belt went out on the Highway

Currently reading:
Technical QUESTION: Timing Belt went out on the Highway

Do you still get manufacturer warranty after 15 years? I doubt that you do. Did you take a look at the other pages if it mentions any need for previous belt changes. Maybe it mentions the first belt change at 6-7 th year at 120 000 km. That'd sound a lot wiser to me. :unsure:
1690476455385.png

That's insane 15 year cam belt interval or 240,000km
We in US-Canada have 1.4 turbo multiair engine. My 2014 500L had ~200 000K when I replaced timing belt. However, it found to be in a very good condition, with no visible cracks etc.

Infact we might be talking about a timing chain. :ROFLMAO: Or it might be those new generation engines that have timing belt in engine oil bath.

Infact we might be talking about a timing chain. :ROFLMAO: Or it might be those new generation engines that have timing belt in engine oil bath.
No chain, it is the belt. Maybe, the 1.4 turbo multiair has better quality belt.

I looked at the full document and the belt change is not mentioned earlier than @Cickos says...
It's mental due to wear items not just the belt but also any idler or tensioner or water pump driven by the belt

We're not talking about a traditional Fiat Fire 1.4 family engine. This is a newer generation.

However I'd like to know how much warranty there is left for a car that's already 15 years old? Could you get Fiat to pay for the damage if there was engine damage before that age or mileage. :LOL: Then again, it must be a belt bathing in oil. How well do those belts actually last? :unsure:

We're not talking about a traditional Fiat Fire 1.4 family engine. This is a newer generation.

However I'd like to know how much warranty there is left for a car that's already 15 years old? Could you get Fiat to pay for the damage if there was engine damage before that age or mileage. :LOL: Then again, it must be a belt bathing in oil. How well do those belts actually last? :unsure:

The ford ecoboost belt in oil does not last as long as predicted often with predictably catastrophic results.
Plus it is difficult to replace and requires expensive special tools.

Hi @jomeza001 any news on the state of the car.

To my knowledge I don't think a cambelt failure on a Multiair engine has been discussed on here before, however the amount of damage done to the engine maybe lessened by the multiair system.

Firstly I think it only operates on the inlet timing so the exhaust valves are likely to have become damaged.

However the way multiair works is that a Cam pressurises oil and its the pressure of that oil that is used to open in the inlet valves, which without the cam turning anymore, means no oil pressure means the inlet valves cannot open. The engine's computers control when the inlet valves open based on the position of the crank, so its theoretically possible that the inlet side may have avoided all damage.

Back