General Punto power steering failure is it the motor ? Please say NO

Currently reading:
General Punto power steering failure is it the motor ? Please say NO

jackiea

Have just purchased a fiat punto y reg from a local garage. :cry:
I had the car about 4 weeks wheh the power sterring light come on. this seemed to correct itself after turning the car off for a while and restarting.
ALSO, a few weeks after getting the car the steering always made a sort of rachet noise when turning the wheel when the car wasnt moving .. would that be any connection..
It has happened now about 4 times and i have now lost all power steering.
When i purchased the car a took out an RAC warrenty.
The car is due to be looked at whilst an assesor from the RAC attends.
I am told that the fault is probably the motor as that is what the problem usually is. BUT, it appears the motor is not covered. Please can anyone give me a glimmer of hope and tell me its not always the motor......
I feel like i have been well and truley ripped off.
I am at my wits end as i am told if its the motor im looking at a a bill for approx £500-£700 I am now wondering if the garage knew about this problem when they sold it to me - :cry:

Wish i knew.
They just said IF, its the motor its not covered by the warranty !!
I am so gutted.
Having it looked at on thursday, but i am really upset
this car cost me enough as it is.
Its my second punto. the first one i had to have a new head put on at a costy of £450.00 then 18 months down the line it went again.
Silly as it sounds i lioved my fiat so purchased another one. but to have this happen after 6 weeks i am distraught.

Last edited:
Its not excluded, they just said its not listed, therefore, IF. (and they think it is) it is the motor its not covered.
I have no idea what runs the power sterringi... Im a nurse not a machanic !! Lol
I am just really worried as i spent all i had to purchase the car in the first place.
I am just hoping that i also didnt waste my £250 on the warranty as well.

Yes, But racks and pinion, steering box, idler box, power steering rack/ram and pump reservoir and steering coloum, !! When i rang them
They said if its the motor its not listed :cry: :bang:.
Could it be anything else do you think ??

Last edited:
Yes, But racks and pinion, steering box, idler box, power steering rack/ram and pump reservoir and steering coloum, !! When i rang them
They said if its the motor its not listed :cry: :bang:.
Could it be anything else do you think ??

i would challenge it as you system doesn't have half them bits, the motor replaces the old fluid system that they have listed, so they have sold you an out of date warranty that is not fit for purpose, so they should either refund you what you paid for it or pay for the work IMO

edit hold on it says "steering coloum" fiat only supply the motor and coloum as one part, the motor is steering coloum in this case :)

Last edited:
So without sounding like a silly blonde !! Lol (that i am )
What should i do if they tell me its not covered.?
I have already challanged them when i was on the phone trying to get it sorted.
I questioned why, if its one unit
They just told me to take it to the garage they have listed in my area. and they will be sending an assasor to check it out and do a test drive.
I am aware that it all come as one unit.. (well, thats what iot looked like when i tried to find out about it).
I just dont know what to do next if they tell me its the motor.
I have already rang the garage that i am taking the car to, and they have said the same..... They dont cover the motor...
I feel like im stuck with out a paddle here
I have the gold cover with RAC.. maybe if you have a chance you may take a look and advise me .
I am so very gratefull for your help and time

Last edited:
The price you have been quoted is typical for a steering column replacement.
The RAC assessor won't be able to do anything without the FIAT examiner (diagnostic tool), and it sounds like they are stringing you by quoting technical jargon. It needs to go to a FIAT garage.

I would speak to trading standards.

Hi. I have been on the phone to the warranty dept at RAC and they say the motor isn't covered on GOLD warranty. If i wanted the motor covered i would need to take out their PLATINUM cover which covers ALL electrical items. The Garage has sold you a warranty that is not suitable for the car. They should have known that as the steering system is electrical it wouldn't be covered on the GOLD cover. The policy you have is not fit for purpose. First port of call is the person who sold you the warranty then i would go to Trading Standards/Citizens Advise For further help. I hope you can get a satisfactory result. Good luck with it (y)

Last edited:
Many thanks for that info
PLEASE could you forward that information to my EMAil adress
[email protected]
I am so distraught as i had not evan had the car 5 weeks when the power steering light first came on... Agter paying nearly £1700 for the car ? !!
I loved my old punto , Athough i had had major problems !!
I am so upset as i am in no position to be parting with any more money !!
I feel so cheated by this FIAT company !! and so upset as the car is just perfect for me (when it runs! Lol)
Any advise much appreciated .
Jackie xxXxx(y)

I just recently purchased a warranty from warranty direct exactly for this very reason - power steering. Bloody hell, I hope im covered????? :confused:

I just recently purchased a warranty from warranty direct exactly for this very reason - power steering. Bloody hell, I hope im covered????? :confused:

Check the small print BEFORE something goes wrong. If its not covered get the warranty upgraded - quick ;)

Edit. Not covered on their Majorcare policy, is on luxurycare policy (y)

Last edited:
i know this may sound a little daft but im surprised no body has asked this question before you said you purchased a y reg punto for £1700, what company did you purchase it from because as far as im aware all cars over £1000 have to have a warrenty... so therefore within 3 months of purchase if the car has gone wrong.. they have to repair that problem and make the car fit for the purpose it has been sold for...

i know this may sound a little daft but im surprised no body has asked this question before you said you purchased a y reg punto for £1700, what company did you purchase it from because as far as im aware all cars over £1000 have to have a warrenty... so therefore within 3 months of purchase if the car has gone wrong.. they have to repair that problem and make the car fit for the purpose it has been sold for...

What what this person's legal position be if she purchased her punto with her credit card???? I wonder....

Nope not sorted.
After me having a hysterical sobbing fit whilst on the phomne to the garage i purchased the car from. They are now having the car looked at and seem to think they can get this fixed for "£30.00" (which rthey want me to pay!!!) Its s joke.
I know that this isnt possible from all you guys have told me.
I took finance out to get the car so they have already been paid.
I am at my wits end and to be honest its making me ill!!!
Does anyomne know if its correct that the car has to have a 3 month warrenty if i paid over £1000. That would really be of help.
I am not convinced that they didnt know about this problem
The steering statred making a "strange" noise when i turned the steering wheel whilst not moving about 4 weeks after i first got the car. After that the power steering stopped working every so often. |Now its been unusable for over a week.
thank you all so much for your help on this. i really have no idea of what top do next.
BUT, if they have tto cover me for 3 months i would really love to know.

Have you spoke to trading standards? They helped me out when Currys wouldn't honour a warranty claim.

Back