Technical Punto mk2 speakers

Currently reading:
Technical Punto mk2 speakers

Hi,
Just realised today that the front drivers side speaker is not working!

Never really noticed before wether it worked or not but i know it isnt now, the back speaker on drivers side works and all passenger side speakers are working.

Would this be a easy fix to just buy a new speaker and replace the one that is not working or will i need to have the system rewired.

Do you think that the speaker has gone or that there is fault somewhere else in the wiring?

Thanks

Probably jus the speaker has gone, you have any other means of testing it? or any other speakers to test on that wiring?

You could go to the local scrappy and get a original speaker out on a mk2 if you jus wanna replace it, or could upgrade from factory speakers to aftermarket ones

Yes you can test it with the passenger side speaker aslong as you know that works.

to use after market you either have to rewire some new speakerwire down from the headunit down into the door, or strip back the old standard wire.

The speaker could be working just not connected. My advise is to swap the left and right speakers in the front around.

That way you will find which of the following senarios is the case.

1. Speaker is dead (speaker won't work when wired on the pasangers side)
2. Wiring problem (speaker that is known to work fails on the drivers side)

More often that not, once you remove the speaker you will find that the connector has been left off by someone who done a job (badly) on the door at some stage.

Best of luck!! (y)

Fixed the problem!!!

I just took off the plastic speaker cover and unscrewed the speaker. The wires were not even connected to the speaker i just simply pushed the wire into the back of the speaker and it worked!!!!

Hi all, new member here, just picked up my '03 plate Fiat Punto Active 1.2 yesterday and am well chuffed with it. Was giving the car a good clean and a once over today and noticed when testing out all the bulbs/electrics that the drivers side door speaker wasn't working! grrrrrr. I have listened around and all the other speakers are working - it looks like I have 2 in the doors, 2 at the back, and a couple of little tweeters towards the dash. Now from what I can tell it sounds like the door speakers handle the bass end with them being the biggest drivers, mid range from the back speakers and obviously high end from the tweeters.

I have turned my stereo up and it seems like this is the case as the bass is lacking. And I'm a bit of an audiophile and I like my tunes so this simply will not do! It will greatly get on my nerves if I don't fix it.

First things first, I took the speaker off to check it was connected at the back (I figure as it's only 1 speaker not working then the problem was the speaker end rather than the head unit end, especially as the head unit was working perfectly in my last car - although I did give the plugs/wires a wiggle just in case) So when I took the speaker off it wasn't connected - nice one, I'll just plug it back in and it'll work, problem solved. Plugged it back in and still nothing.

I swapped the speaker over to the passenger side and plugged it in there and it worked, so I know the speaker is not the problem. It must be the wiring. Wires and connections look ok with nothing broken/snapped or anything, so I figure one of the cables must be bad between the head unit and the door somewhere.

Now I don't want to go to all the hassle of taking off all the bits of bodywork and undoing the loom to trace it all back. How easy is it to just run a new pair of wired from the head unit down through to the speaker? I want to fix this and see how the standard sound system sounds before I go buying any aftermarket speakers/amps, as I don't want to spend loads of money if I can live with the system already in place.

Cheers - apologies for the long post!!

sKiTz

Grrrrrrr - just taken her for a spin and now neither of my front speakers are working :bang:

Hi there,
If your an audiophile and like to listen to your music then upgrading is the only way to improve it. Running new cables to the door isnt too hard either, just takes a bit of time

Sam

Sussed it. Thought I'd get a multimeter on the wires and check for continuity before I started replacing them, just on the off chance. Getting continuity on both wires.

So I swapped the drivers over and both were working, so I have left them like that.

Just tested it out with a few tunes with different dynamic ranges and the dodgy one (now on the passenger side) is distorting when turned up or playing bassier stuff. So it looks like the actual driver is knackered.

With that in mind - if anybody has a spare stock speaker from the mk2 punto going - please get in touch via PM and I will gladly take it off your hands.

Will upgrade in due time, but for now buying the car has taken up all my spare cash so just wanted to get the stock system working properly to tide me over for the next month or 2. On first listen, the stock system does sound a bit carp.

Cheers

Yeah they are real basic.

Mine looked like cardboard when i took them out lol.

You could get a cheapish pair of speakers of fleebay if you dont mind used. I spent £80 on mtx's and was pleased to bits with them, but then again its £80

Sam

Hi all, new member here, just picked up my '03 plate Fiat Punto Active 1.2 yesterday and am well chuffed with it. Was giving the car a good clean and a once over today and noticed when testing out all the bulbs/electrics that the drivers side door speaker wasn't working! grrrrrr. I have listened around and all the other speakers are working - it looks like I have 2 in the doors, 2 at the back, and a couple of little tweeters towards the dash. Now from what I can tell it sounds like the door speakers handle the bass end with them being the biggest drivers, mid range from the back speakers and obviously high end from the tweeters.

I have turned my stereo up and it seems like this is the case as the bass is lacking. And I'm a bit of an audiophile and I like my tunes so this simply will not do! It will greatly get on my nerves if I don't fix it.

First things first, I took the speaker off to check it was connected at the back (I figure as it's only 1 speaker not working then the problem was the speaker end rather than the head unit end, especially as the head unit was working perfectly in my last car - although I did give the plugs/wires a wiggle just in case) So when I took the speaker off it wasn't connected - nice one, I'll just plug it back in and it'll work, problem solved. Plugged it back in and still nothing.

I swapped the speaker over to the passenger side and plugged it in there and it worked, so I know the speaker is not the problem. It must be the wiring. Wires and connections look ok with nothing broken/snapped or anything, so I figure one of the cables must be bad between the head unit and the door somewhere.

Now I don't want to go to all the hassle of taking off all the bits of bodywork and undoing the loom to trace it all back. How easy is it to just run a new pair of wired from the head unit down through to the speaker? I want to fix this and see how the standard sound system sounds before I go buying any aftermarket speakers/amps, as I don't want to spend loads of money if I can live with the system already in place.

Cheers - apologies for the long post!!

sKiTz

-i

Back