Technical punto mk2 clutch change

Currently reading:
Technical punto mk2 clutch change

MintySport

Established member
hi all, im going to be changing the clutch on my girlfriends mk2 punto tom morning and have done cinqs before. Just wanted to know if theres anything else different about the punto mk2 engine/clutch n gearbox that i should know?

Ive had a quick scan through the haynes manual and all seems the same but was just wondering if anyone else noticed any differences between the two that i cant see?

Well, no one wanted to offer me any advice lol

But i got it done anyway, even though it took me all day to the despair of my girlfriend......im sorry :eek:

Somethings were pretty much the same as a cinq but few differences that threw me but i got there in the end (y)

And now my hopefully happy girlfriend can drive the punto in the knowledge it wont go tits up for at least a while!!!!

righty, after doing the clutch, its not slipping anymore but there is still a problem that is occuring with her punto from before but after speaking to a local mechaic he has said to just give everything time to settle in, but the problem is that when she accelerates quite hard over about 5000rpm there is a whining/whooshing noise coming from the engine bay which then goes once you have changed gear and the revs drop back down.

I dont think it can be anything like the clutch because i replaced the whole 3 piece set.........

but has anyone else here ever experienced anything else like this at all??

iam possibly thinking it may be the timing belt bearing which maybe ready for changing if the timing belt is too tight and putting extra pressure on the belt bearing under speed!

Last edited:
MintySport said:
righty, after doing the clutch, its not slipping anymore but there is still a problem that is occuring with her punto from before but after speaking to a local mechaic he has said to just give everything time to settle in, but the problem is that when she accelerates quite hard over about 5000rpm there is a whining/whooshing noise coming from the engine bay which then goes once you have changed gear and the revs drop back down.

I dont think it can be anything like the clutch because i replaced the whole 3 piece set.........

but has anyone else here ever experienced anything else like this at all??

iam possibly thinking it may be the timing belt bearing which maybe ready for changing if the timing belt is too tight and putting extra pressure on the belt bearing under speed!
What makes you think this problem has anything to do with the clutch or timing belt?

noises make me think either exhaust or induction problems striaght away, whinning is normally a belt like the alternator, the timing belt will snap if its toooo tight.

Tell me more about it.

Back