Technical Punto mk1 strange problems

Currently reading:
Technical Punto mk1 strange problems

StefanMk1

Did some searching but didn't come up with anything that matched my cases. I currently have 2 weird problems with my punto mk1 75sx.

The first one is with the lights. When i put my normal beams on, the high beams seem to also turn on but only partly. I can tell this because the high beams light signal inside on the cluster turns on but its only faintly lighted, then when i actually do put on my high beams it brightens fully. I unscrewed the ground that comes from the headlights wiring and cleaned it with WD-40 incase it was a case of a bad ground but there was no difference what so ever.:confused:

The second one is really weird. The cars seems to make some sort of strange whinning sound but only when turned off. Most commonly i hear this noise when i come back from a trip. I park the car, turn the engine off and once i close the door i hear the strange sort of whinning sound... sort of like a dieing horn (if that makes any sense :confused:). Ive also heard the noise other times randomly aswell but in all cases the engine was turned of so it cant be any worn belts or grinding parts etc.

Anyone have any clues to what might be causing these strange problems?

1) It certainly sounds like an earth problem, check the connector for the bulbs and for corrosion from the earth connection up inside the cable. Strip back a bit of insulation, if its green cut back to bare metal and attach new conector.

2) Cooling fan, possibly.

Cheers

SPD

Took your advise about the earth problem and rechecked the earth connections, found another earth under the battery tray. I took it out cleaned it thoroughly, even filed it down to expose new bare metal, but when i reconnected it there is still the same problem. So now im thinking maybe there is a fault in the earth wires somewhere?

How do the earth connections for the lights work anyway? Do both earths (one from each headlight) end up together at one ground point or is each earth grounded separately to each side?

Lights check all the connections on the light unit itself or the light circuit connections right back to the switch.
The noise is the fuel tank venting pressure I think every Punto does it well the ones I've had do!

Wouldn't pressure venting from the tank sound more like a 'pssshhh' sound? This sounds more like a whhaaaaaa (if that makes any sense):D

As i suspect its the earth what im thinking of doing is running a single, same gauge, wire directly from the lights cluster to the earth point, then judging from the outcome i can move from there. If the problem is solved it means i have a fault somewhere in the ground wire, if not then i should look elsewhere... right?

As i suspect its the earth what im thinking of doing is running a single, same gauge, wire directly from the lights cluster to the earth point, then judging from the outcome i can move from there. If the problem is solved it means i have a fault somewhere in the ground wire, if not then i should look elsewhere... right?

Correct

Cheers

SPD

Fixed the lights problem... turns out the drivers side headlight was not wired correctly. :bang:

Well the weird noise does seem to come from the rear but if it was the suspension wouldn't it sound more like a squeaky noise? To me it seems as if its coming from a speaker of some sort (maybe a broken one:D). I was thinking maybe it has something to do with the anti-theft system?:confused:

You might have a short across bulb contacts or in the holder. Ever seen other lights come on dimly when the car in front puts it's brakes on? This is the cause.
The funny noise? Well sucking air could be one thing. Try releasing the pertol filler cap and see if this stops it. Otherwise have a close listen under the bonnet. Good luck!

The noise might be something shorting out through the horn because of another bad earth point. If you suspect the stereo/speakers, you could disconnect it for a while and see if the problem goes away.
Drum brakes can groan when parked on hills because the lever arms get sprained so the shoes are not properly locked on making them move a bit and groan. Discs wont make any noise.

Tank venting is not a hissing sound it more of a strange moaning sound both my Puntos do it, usually just after parking up.

Back