Technical Punto mk1 overheating

Currently reading:
Technical Punto mk1 overheating

mybassbleedsphat

Hi there
Wondering if anyone could help with some problems with my 1.2 60 r-reg punto sx, It seems to overheat whenever it's idling but cools down whenever it's being driven again, The coolant resovoir needs topping up more and more, It's now at the point of needing about 1 pint every 20 miles - Though it drives perfectly and has'nt given me any problems in the 1.500 miles of me owning it, But I know there's something wrong so i've sorned it for september to save up the inevitable repair costs.
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! :D

Does the fan at the front kick in automatically after a while when it is idling? If not the switch which measures the temperature may have failed.

I think that it is in the middle of the radiator with wires coming from it.

Does the fan at the front kick in automatically after a while when it is idling? If not the switch which measures the temperature may have failed.

I think that it is in the middle of the radiator with wires coming from it.
Thanks for the reply, Yeah the fan does come on but only after about 4 minutes once the temp guage is at 3 quarters hot but it still carrys on heating up to the max if not driven, I remember someone suggesting that the fan was maybe timed to come on too late. But even when being driven normaly and not getting hot it still needs coolant top up, Which I thought was A sign that the head gasket was on it's way out.

fan should kick in at just over 1/2 not 3/4

the fan will keep the temp down at about 1/2 even if stood in traffic, so if it's still getting too hot with the fan on, you must be loosing coolant somewhere.

any white smoke?
Nope, No smoke, Im always looking out for it though as I assumed it was the head gasket, But the cars not with me at the moment as it's sorned and in my mums garden, wondering weather it's worth just using it again until something happens, But don't want to do any damage as im only topping up the coolant with water and no anti freeze/Summer coolant, I'm not too clever with mechanics but i'de guess that would'nt be doing it much good

You have airlock which prevents water fom circulating at low rpm. When it starts overheating at idle, rev it up at 3000 rpm and check if temperature drops.

Did someone change coolant lately and forgot to bleed cooling system?

You have to use only destilated water (not tap water), if you don't use antifeeze, metal parts inside engine start rusting

Last edited:
Back