Technical Punto Mk1 55sx not getting up to temp

Currently reading:
Technical Punto Mk1 55sx not getting up to temp

whirlybird

My wifes Mk1 55sx (N reg) does not get up to operating temp on the gauge, infact only just gets above the bottom needle whilst driving, and may get a little higher when sat in traffic.
The fan does cut in from time to time, but the gauge still indicates low temp.
Any ideas??

my uno did a similar thing cos the thermastat was stuck open due to perished ruber seal best get it changed as is a likely cause and fairly cheap if not might just be a faulty sender for the gauge or at worst a faulty gauge the list of causes is endless realy

if you put your hand on the top hose and start the engine from cold it should stay cold untill the engine has been runing for atlesat 4 to 5 minuites then begin to warm as the engine warms up and the stat opens if it begins to warm fairly quickly the stat is probably stuck open the fan switch is on the radiatoe so the fact your fan is runing from time to time indicates that it isnt stuck shut anyway

Cheers Dave and littlepip. It was the thermostat, and what fun that was in this weather, getting wet from all directions. :D Usual Fiat thing though, what's wrong with just an old fashioned thermostat on it's own, instead of a whole unit!!!

I know with the funky housing, but modern diesel engins your sometimes looking at £100 for a thermostat housing thing!!!

mine did this and it wasn't closing much, so sat just under 1/4, a new thermostat got it to the same place, just a lot faster, then another red tailed temp gauge sensor in the back of the head (£1) saw it climb just a bit more. and using a temp gun sensor thing the car was getting to 88degrees (proper temp) but just not showing it.

you should also notice an increase in fuel economy now its getting warmed up more and quicker :worship:

Back