Technical punto jtd, water in fuel filter???

Currently reading:
Technical punto jtd, water in fuel filter???

johnstoke

Hi folks,

a bit of advice please, my punto (2001 jtd elx) has recently started to be a pain when cold, if left for 10 hours (i.e. from when i get to , to when I finish work) , it is fine, starts perfectly, and runs perfectly. If left overnight, it starts immediately in the morning, but as soon as I try to pull off, it stalls. gently pressing the accelerator (i dont beleive in revving engines off load, especially when cold), it is extremely reluctant to rev to 2000, once it has 'cleared its throat' and ive pulled off, then it runs perfectly. As I said above, it can be left all day at work, and, as in the mornings too, the glow plug light goes out after 1to 2 secs, it starts and runs perfectly. Ive been told by more than 1 person, its likely to be water in the fuel filter and it needs bleeding. I'd appreciate any input on this, as im new to diesels (though could bore you to tears with vauxhall petrol engines).Im reluctant to take it to my local dealer, because =i have found fiat servicing to be ridiculously expensive (it cost me more to have the cambelt, tensioners and bottom pulley replaced, and an oil/filter change on my punto than it did to have my last car, a cavalier v6 cdx serviced,cam belt (4 camshafts on a cavalier v6..)and tensioners fitted, and the aircon regassed at a vauxhall main dealer). I'm competant with tools.......... jsut not got the info............ can anyone offer any advice, or could it be something else. Im confident its not the glowplugs, and once its running, even cold, it runs crisply without a beat. thanks in advance

(y)

Simple one.... on the bottom of the fuel filter is a Plastic Nut (bleed screw) (thing)

Undo with your fingers but don't take it right out unless you want a pint of diesel all over the gearbox !!!

Just leave it to dribble for about 10 secs and then screw it back in again. simple as that.

Old Fiat Tipo Turbo Diesel has a sensor in that plug to alert to water being in the filter, not sure if it's present on the Punto TD :confused:

Cheers for that, there is a warning light on the dash according to the owners book, but it doesnt light up ,even as a check, maybe the bulb is blown?. I will haeva look tomorrow lunchtime at work, thanks, John

an update......... car was perfect yeterday and today......... but I did drain the filter today , and there was about 20 mls of water in, so it did need doing

cheers for your input

John

Just about to change my derv filter in the next couple days... I will post up how it's done.... give it a spanner rating !!!

Got Rear brakes front brakes oil change the lot to do.... :D :D

Back