Technical Punto GT into a Cinq

Currently reading:
Technical Punto GT into a Cinq

Stuartl

Maranellohouse.com
Does it go.
I have a 899 standard Cinq in excellent condition and just today bought an almost complete Punto GT (engine blown but I can fix it through time). The GT can't go back on the road because the last owner sent the tax book back claiming the car is scrap.
Anyway, I'm not up to speed with Cinq and Punto's because I've been spending a lot of time in the Panda section, but it occured to me that if I could build the GT into the Cinq I could make a cracking little track car. So I was wondering if anyone has tried it and if so could take a little time to tell me what fits and what needs modified to fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

but it occured to me that if I could build the GT into the Cinq I could make a cracking little track car.

From people who have done it before, it'll likely to handle something awful. Not something you want for a track car ;)

Or transfer the bits into a 55 shell, keep the badges and black bumpers and fit some wider steelies ;)

Also... are the other/more recent na 1368cc units a fair bit lighter/smaller than the Punto GT one? Seen as a few people on here have been putting them into Cinqs and Seis.

Or transfer the bits into a 55 shell, keep the badges and black bumpers and fit some wider steelies ;)

Also... are the other/more recent na 1368cc units a fair bit lighter/smaller than the Punto GT one? Seen as a few people on here have been putting them into Cinqs and Seis.

yeah the new 1.4 16v, found in 100 panda hp, punto mk2 1.4 sporting, stilo etc etc :)

ming

Hi m8 the punto should be able to be put back on the road, just send off for a new log book £25 and you might have to take it to a VOSA place for them to look the car over to make sure its not a ringer.

Hi m8 the punto should be able to be put back on the road, just send off for a new log book £25 and you might have to take it to a VOSA place for them to look the car over to make sure its not a ringer.

That's if the V5 has been lost or if a car needs a VIC.

The GT in question, as far as the DVLA are concerned, no longer exists. I don't see them reissuing the V5 TBH.

It is quite possible to install GT engine into cinq, but you will have major problems with cooling system, you have to remove current heating system and electronic (wires, plugs, connections) are twice difficult than original. Punto GT engine + gearbox (you can not install any different gearbox - only from punto 1,6 is adequate - but shorter gears) is wider, sou you will have problems with removing timing belts. Also, Cinque engine space is very short, you have to upgrade engine cover like it have Delta Integrale ... etc. Gearbox rods are longer. For almost every fail you have to put your engine off, etc etc. I will look foward for more common instalations, like 1,4 16V or just simply 1,2 8V MPI + upgrades. Punto GT Engine is not bad (camshaft is a piece of junk) but, this engine became not popular for reinstallation to another cars because of bad electricity...

I had big problem when I installed T28 turbocharger (N200sx 2,0T) to my GT. There wasn´t enough space, so I had to redesign changing gear rods. Then overheating... Original cooling was not enough. And engine had only something more than 180bhp. Just imagine that you will have those problem in cento.

That is why I used original 1108cc engine for upgrade... And, It works. For a lot less money then I will spent for Uno Turbo or Punto GT engine with nearly same result.

Sorry for the slow comeback, been ill the last week.
Anyway update is that the car has never been registered in N.I and also the last owner has sent the log book back stating he has scraped the car so I can't put it back on the road :cry:
To much work and to little time means I'm not going down the road of building the engine into the Cinq so I'll be sticking it in the shed and will decide what to do with it at another time. Building it into another Punto shell seems to be the only other option.

Thanks guys for the input, it's been very useful (y)

Back