Technical punto evo water problem

Currently reading:
Technical punto evo water problem

I own a fiat punto evo sporting 2010 (no sun roof) for almost 1 year now. About 1 month ago when I was cleaning the car I noticed water behind driver seat. No ideea how long i have this problem.

I looked under the carpet, was soaking wet, driver footwell also. I think the water is getting in around that area and traveling back behind driver seat. (I Park up hill).

I took the car to a local Garage and the guy said it's the side window ( he blew air and said air was getting in).
I went and had the side Window taken out and put back (they said it s not that the problem)
I was thinking it's the door seal but at the car wash with me inside I don't see any water getting in.
That drain below the wipers it's clean, I guess it s not that.

Yesterday I took the carpet away a bit and put my hand under the pedals, that area was very wet,the sponge . I'm guessing the water is getting in somewhere there. There's some holes there( behind the acceleration pedal) I could feel with my hand, it s hard to see because of the isolation carpet, no grommets, no ideea if that's how it s supposed to be or is something missing.

I don't know much about cars and this one is my first ever car at 27 and I really love it and I want to fix this problem. When I call car services in my area they say they don't fix water problems. I can only think of getting the car back to where I Bought it from, maybe they can fix it. And that's 130 miles away :(. And I live in uk, Wales, it's raining so much here.

Thanks so much for any help.

Last edited:
Hi :)

There are a few options for this.. main one a garage should have ruled out :cool:

1, Is the coolant level ok???

2, Is it a replacement windscreen.. they are 'sealed in' a poor job can leak badly

3, Underneath the windscreen.. where the wipers are.. there is a massive steel box..

It has rainwater drains.. but they can get clogged with junk..leafmould a favourite
:(

These are my 2 puntos..

Charlie - Abertillery

Attachments

• 20201126_112621 (1).jpg
    20201126_112621 (1).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
  • 20200910_112409.jpg
    20200910_112409.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
As Charlie says check those things OK first. Water leaks can be often hard to find, as an apprentice they used to shut me in the boot of cars with a torch whilst playing the hose pipe on the car to look for leaks, at least that is what they told me ;).
If the car has been involved even in a small accident, things like doors may appear to shut OK and inline and not let in water from a car wash etc. but if you take a piece of A4 paper and shut the door on it all the way around if you can slide the paper out then the rubber seal isn't gripping the door and can let water in. Another guide in that direction is if you can hear wind noise from near the doors when traveling fast. If that is the case and the rubber seal is OK then often it is a simple case of readjusting the door.
I had a customer whose car leaked water into the passenger side onto the ECU electronics causing all sorts of problems, I traced that to a poor replacement windscreen job, he lived beside a Golf course and a ball had smashed the windscreen which the Golf club paid for, but the company made a poor job and we got them to do it again plus wiring repairs at the auto electricians.
With the carpets back out of the way can you put an old towel or similar down to confirm the direction the water is coming from.
Incidentally once you have solved the leak and dried the car out and cleaned any mould away , it may be a good idea to use one of those "aircon bombs" to freshen the car and kill any bacteria as it can be harmful to your lungs etc.

Hi guys. I took some pictures. Drain it's clear, coolant seems low, I don't know if the windshield it's the original one. Idk if this is a clue or not but the windshield on the inside is getting watery very badly, even when it s dry outside. And that photo with the plastic thing under the carpet, not even sure what's that, but seems wet all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_20230224_091238.jpg
    IMG_20230224_091238.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20230224_090647.jpg
    IMG_20230224_090647.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20230224_090519.jpg
    IMG_20230224_090519.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20230224_090332.jpg
    IMG_20230224_090332.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 49
Hi guys. I took some pictures. Drain it's clear, coolant seems low, I don't know if the windshield it's the original one. Idk if this is a clue or not but the windshield on the inside is getting watery very badly, even when it s dry outside. And that photo with the plastic thing under the carpet, not even sure what's that, but seems wet all the time.
Hi again :)

Ok,
The windows getting misty.. thats just from the inside being WET.. same as the plastic trim on the floor, under that carpet 'underlay' will be soaked..' :(

Likely issues:

Coolant leak... the heater unit has a small radiator ( called a heater matrix) if that leaks coolant...

You will have a low coolant level and wet carpet.... sound familiar..??
Its positioned Under the radio/ in front of the gear lever..

I will try and find pics to help here

Whatever colour your coolant is... kitchen towel laid there could well go the same shade ;)

Leaky windscreen.. its rainwater so colourless..

Paths are variable.. I would rule out the coolant 1st ;-)

Coolant is crucial for the motor.. so you need to top up that level

Blue coolant is Old Tech

Red..or Orange is newer

DO NOT MIX ;)

You may not want to try this, but it is a way of confirming if water is a coolant leak from heater matrix/radiator or just rain. It sounds gross but if you put a tiny bit of the water on the tip of your tongue and it tastes sweet then it is likely the same as the coolant in your car coolant tank antifreeze. I would advise spiting it out though ;). I have done this many times and survived. If you have a very sensitive sense of smell you could see if the water in the car smells like the coolant in the tank under the bonnet, only check with cold engine.
Another check is when engine is warm and coolant under pressure, get in the car with a torch , upside down under the dash and see if any coolant dripping from heater box area or if carpet wet high up by heater box.
If heater matrix is leaking replacing it will not be a five minute job for the garage, so get a quote first for labour and the cost of the part plus antifreeze etc..

I'm sure it s just rain water, no smell, no sticky if you touch it ( i've cleaned it with a cloth under the carpet many times).
I live in llandeilo ( 25 miles away form swansea 🙂🙂)
I would still keep an eye on the coolant level, ideally it shouldn't drop at all, don't forget antifreeze.
You mentioned at the beginning that you have had the car for nearly a year , so probably well out of any warranty assistance.
Try and confirm or narrow down direction it is coming from, did you check the door seals with the A4 paper trick I suggested?

Done the trick, I can take the paper out with not much effort.
Area behind acceleration pedal is wet, that's where water is getting in.
You guys think can be this side trims, or the door seal (on the door, like in the photo) if the actual door seal is good? I ve ordered a door seal from e Bay, so I ll change that when it'll arrive. 🙂🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20230224_111522.jpg
    IMG_20230224_111522.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20230224_111456.jpg
    IMG_20230224_111456.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20230224_111243.jpg
    IMG_20230224_111243.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20230224_105206.jpg
    IMG_20230224_105206.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 39
Done the trick, I can take the paper out with not much effort.
Area behind acceleration pedal is wet, that's where water is getting in.
You guys think can be this side trims, or the door seal (on the door, like in the photo) if the actual door seal is good? I ve ordered a door seal from e Bay, so I ll change that when it'll arrive. 🙂🙂
Generally if the paper can be pulled out without tearing even if the seal is undamaged it would indicate the door needs adjusting in a bit at that point so that it pinches on the paper. If you can pull the paper out fairly easily then the rain will go in the same way. Try it all the way around the door , if the paper is tearing that is good as the seal is pinching tight.
Depending on where it is not gripping, is what needs adjusting, so if along top of door nearer the front then the hinge may need repositioning, if nearer the lock then the catch may need moving inwards slightly. Often if that is the case if you lean on that end of the door you will see it go in closer.
Sometimes if leaking at the top of hinge end the water can run down the seal and then over the inside of the carpet near the accelerator pedal and ECU area in your case which is not a good idea!!!
The seal I am referring to is the one that goes all around the door opening aperture, not on the door it'self. It is held on the metal lip that protrudes all around the opening, sometimes where the factory "spotwelds " the panels together. If everything else is tight it can be possible to tighten the seal contact arrea in one spot by gently hammering that lip outwards a little to increase pressure on the seal, though you shouldn't need to.
The outer seals on the door whilst they may help are more to streamline the car and reduce wind noise.

Generally if the paper can be pulled out without tearing even if the seal is undamaged it would indicate the door needs adjusting in a bit at that point so that it pinches on the paper. If you can pull the paper out fairly easily then the rain will go in the same way. Try it all the way around the door , if the paper is tearing that is good as the seal is pinching tight.
Depending on where it is not gripping, is what needs adjusting, so if along top of door nearer the front then the hinge may need repositioning, if nearer the lock then the catch may need moving inwards slightly. Often if that is the case if you lean on that end of the door you will see it go in closer.
Sometimes if leaking at the top of hinge end the water can run down the seal and then over the inside of the carpet near the accelerator pedal and ECU area in your case which is not a good idea!!!
The seal I am referring to is the one that goes all around the door opening aperture, not on the door it'self. It is held on the metal lip that protrudes all around the opening, sometimes where the factory "spotwelds " the panels together. If everything else is tight it can be possible to tighten the seal contact arrea in one spot by gently hammering that lip outwards a little to increase pressure on the seal, though you shouldn't need to.
The outer seals on the door whilst they may help are more to streamline the car and reduce wind noise.
Yes, that's the seal I ordered, The big one that goes all around

As I said before.. you need more coolant !!

If its a petrol..you risk Head Gasket being stressed by overheating.

I dont think your screen is original.. but it often costs a fair bit to get it changed.. so worth a try with the weatherstrip.

I would remove the plastic side trim under the dashboard..

and line the 'walls' with kitchen towel ... should be evident what has stayed dry..and what has crinkled with the damp

As I said before.. you need more coolant !!

If its a petrol..you risk Head Gasket being stressed by overheating.

I dont think your screen is original.. but it often costs a fair bit to get it changed.. so worth a try with the weatherstrip.

I would remove the plastic side trim under the dashboard..

and line the 'walls' with kitchen towel ... should be evident what has stayed dry..and what has crinkled with the damp
It's petrol 1.4 16v. I'll top up the coolant. Is it red or Orange. I can't really tell 😬
I'll try with the door seal first hopefully that sorts it.
I paid 80 pounds for the side Window to be refited. I don't want to think how much would be for the screen 😥

The Modern coolants are called O.A.T.

( organic antifreeze technology..?)

Less harmful than the Blue stuff, that was poisonous :Ethylene Glycol

Any OAT coolant will be fine

Screens..

Cheapest option is normally the Winscreen replacement through the car insurance.. @£75

But well worth checking that there isnt a simpler leak path

Shame you are still an hour away from me..or I would help look :)

Back