Technical Punto ELS Speedgear Gearbox Warning Light

Currently reading:
Technical Punto ELS Speedgear Gearbox Warning Light

DiscoPistol

Hi all,

I was driving my recently aquired 2002 ELX Speedgear to work this morning when I noticed a flashing light on the dash. I don't have a manual and as the car was moving in the direction I wanted it to (and because frankly the light looked like an open boot!) I carried in with out any issues.

I had a quick look on the internet and thanks to this site soon realised that it was a Gearbox Warning Light. Still the car was working so I imagined a sensor or something similar.

I've just been down to check a few things and, further to a post on here, checked if the light was active through all the gears. It was there for all of them until I hit 'L' at which point it went off and stayed off!

Any ideas? Is this normal? Should I get it checked out?

Thanks in advance and great website!

Dave

Welcome! :wave:

The most common cause is a faulty earth in the rear, nearside light cluster (where the reverse light is). If you take this off and clean the contacts (especially the end one, where the black wire is) on both the plug and the socket, then my money is on the dashboard light clearing, and not coming back...! (y)

If you haven't got a Haynes, or an owner's handbook, and can't work out how to remove the cluster, just yell! (And, yes, it does look like a saloon car's boot is open...!) :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks, much appreciated.

I'll fire Youtube up later and see if there's an idiots guide.

It was just odd that it went out as soon as I pushed it into 'L'

Dave

It was just odd that it went out as soon as I pushed it into 'L'

You didn't brake, just beforehand, did you...? :confused:

If it starts to do the reverse beep every time you brake, then you'll know it's the rear light that's the issue. Even if it isn't, still worth cleaning to avoid future problems.... :idea:

See if it happens again; and check the level and quality of the gearbox oil, in the meantime.... :)

Hello everyone!
I am BRAND NEW here and very much a mechanical novice, but I am determined to learn and become self-sufficient in fixing my 20 year old Fiat Punto MK2 SpeedGearA.

Like the person above, I have this same problem, except that I only get the musical tone when I press the brakes.
A little history:
The gearbox warning light and the musical tone would surface from time-to-time and then it would go away for months...
My car hadn't been driven since xmas eve, but we've driven it for the last two days and the following things have happened:

1) On the first day of driving the power steering light (NEVER EVER BEEN ON BEFORE) came on
2) The gremlin gearbox light constantly flashed, musical tone and clicking sound when we pressed the brake.
3) The gremlin light goes away when the car is put into reverse gear and the clicking brake sound goes away when the car is put into reverse gear.

NOTE: THE CAR WAS WORKING FINE PRIOR TO XMAS EVE and during the first drive this week despite the issues mentioned above it was also running fine.

Yesterday we drove the car for the second time this week and the following things happened:

1) The power steering light didn't come back on
2) The gremlin gearbox light kept flashing, the musical tone was intermittent and the clicking still happened everytime we pressed the brake.
3) The gremlin gearbox light goes away when the car is put into reverse gear and the clicking sound goes away when the brake is applied in reverse gear.

Today, I didn't drive the car, but I turned it on just to 'keep all the juices flowing' as they say, and whilst it was idle the gearbox light was still flashing!

Now, I've read the really helpful tips below, especially the one about cleaning the plug and connector.
It seems like a simple fix, but I don't know where to begin, what precautions to take -- basically I don't know how to do what you are suggesting, though I want to know how to do it.

Please can anybody take me through this step by step?

Has anybody else had similar problems?

Thank you!

Welcome! 👋

The most common cause is a faulty earth in the rear, nearside light cluster (where the reverse light is). If you take this off and clean the contacts (especially the end one, where the black wire is) on both the plug and the socket, then my money is on the dashboard light clearing, and not coming back...! (y)

If you haven't got a Haynes, or an owner's handbook, and can't work out how to remove the cluster, just yell! (And, yes, it does look like a saloon car's boot is open...!) :cool:
YELLING!
Hello, I hope you are well.
Please can you read my message.
I think I could do with your help!

Updated observations:

1) In addition to the musical tone and clicking noise that comes when I press the brake pedal, the display which shoes the current gear changes from De (because the economy button is switched on (the reason for the "e")) to R and then back to De when I lift of the brake pedal.

2) At the start of my drive despite the clicking sound when pressing the brake, the musical tone wouldn't ALWAYS come on, nor would the gearbox warning light.

3) When I returned home to part, the gearbox warning light was flashing and for the first time the yellow bulb with the letter A inside it had lghten up.

Preliminary conclusion, I really beleive this to be a glitch BUT would really like advice as per my introductory post above.
I thought these further observations would help!
The car runs beautifully otherwise!

Back