General Punto 2001 or 2002 Were they precabled from factory for CD/Cassette players?

Currently reading:
General Punto 2001 or 2002 Were they precabled from factory for CD/Cassette players?

rolsvt

Hi there,

We have a 2001 or 2 Fiat PUnto ELX automatic which we bought in Malta second hand. It is in great condition, very low milage and goes like a dream. It has had one previous keeper who bought it new here.

My question is, Did these Puntos come pre-cabled from the factory for a CD or cassette player/radio? Our car doesn't have this, only a oddments space in the area that normally holds this unit and it doesn't even have an aerial on the roof, just a rubber grommet to fill the hole. I can source a used Blaupunkt CD player for this model quite cheaply now but I need to know whether all Puntos from the factory were precabled to be able to connect it, also if someone knew whether the speakers were precabled as well that would definitely affect my decision as to whether I would preceed with this operation!

Thanks for your time, Roland

you can access the holes for door speakers quite easily by removing the cover and putting your hand in to feel for a cable
as ziggy says whats in the area on dash where radio would fit? you are looking for plugs that match the bluespot radio connecters
no aerial and a grommit seems such a weird spec i wonder if it started as a hire car

There is this kit (which I recently bought to upgrade my speakers) that has the front and rear speakers including front speaker grilles and pods. It also includes the radio surround. On the back there is a picture showing someone removing the cubby hole / oddments space and putting the radio surround in it's place.

36657471064_4cfdd5d878.jpg

This is the kit:

https://www.partsworld-uk.com/products/120w-speaker-kit-punto

Thanks very much for your replies!

I think that is what we will do, buy the same Partsworld kit and an aftermarket stereo with a aux in plug. I checked today and the cables are in behind the oddments space, just have to hope that the speaker wires are there in the doors as well.

You can buy an aerial with the cable off eBay for £10, probably no more than €20 on the continent depending on your exact location and postal service? That’s not a problem, pop the grommet out and put the aerial in its place. Routing the wire to the radio might be a little bit fiddly but something any novice can do.

Whether the cables for the radio it’s self are there? Well the only real way you’ll know is to pop the cubby out and take a look. The problem will be that sometimes when not needed plugs get taped to the rest of the wiring loom at the factory, however with things like radio wires it something that 99.999% of cars will be fitted with so they won’t make a wiring loom specifically for the very small number of cars that don’t have the wires! Especiallly as in many cases people may insist on a radio being fitted at the dealership which is a lot more costly if the wires are not already there, so there is a good chance the wires will be there but until you look you won’t know for sure.

Back