General Pros and Cons of Electric

Currently reading:
General Pros and Cons of Electric

Monstermunch

I’m a newbie on here because this is the first Fiat car I’ve owned other than an older Ducato based motorhome a while back. It is a March 2023 U.K. registered 500e Red in the 42kwh version, bought new. It is also the first EV I’ve owned, so I thought I might share my experiences of ownership so far because sometime in the future it does now look like we all might have to make this decision.

We are lucky enough to be retired and still own two cars. My wife’s is a 1300cc petrol Toyota Yaris that currently complies with all the various emissions regulations. This formed the basis of my decision to try an EV as my car. I swapped my 6 year old VW Tiguan diesel for it.

We always had another vehicle as back up and the way I’ve chosen to use the Fiat is a car that we will both use for all local trips and always re-charge it at home. For home charging I use Fiat’s so called ‘granny charger’ which simply plugs into a standard 13 amp home mains socket and slow charges overnight from a minimum decided by me at around 60% battery left and around 80-100 miles driven on average. That costs around a fiver currently on our standard tariff. We have used it for longer trips within its dashboard displayed range, but we always re-charge at home.

Now for that ‘range’. Fiat say it is capable of a 199 mile range, but of course that is dependent on many factors such as weight carried, outside temperature and road conditions. During the summer months I have achieved that range, but I have to drive it carefully, less than 50mph, in its ‘Sherpa’ mode, and without the climate control active. Now we are in winter the range has reduced somewhat due to colder weather and having to use the climate control heating. I estimate I now get 140 miles on average. Due to the way I’ve chosen to use the car though, that is all irrelevant as I just re-charge overnight at home once it drops to 60%.

The car has 3 driving modes. Depending on which one used, reflects the car’s range. ‘Normal’ and it drives just like any other car, using air conditioning or heating. ‘Range’ mode allows the climate controls to be used, but slightly restricts performance. ‘Sherpa’ mode restricts top speed to 50mph and by default won’t switch on climate control, although this can be overridden. I always use either Sherpa around town, or Range on a motorway trip. You can change mode while driving, should you join a motorway for example. You can also set schedules to have the car pre-warmed on climate control while still plugged into mains prior to a journey. You just type in your departure time into the car’s phone app. Driving the car is fantastic. It is silent, very sporty and very ‘nippy’.

That brings me to the car’s technology, all controlled either in the car, or through its phone app. 5 subscription services came activated for a 3 year ‘trial’ on purchase. These relate to the phone app remote control, the entertainment and TomTom satnav system etc. it also has a sub section to the entertainment system which controls connectivity to the internet via the inbuilt eSIM and the built in Alexa app. This is called Connect Plus, and is free to use for only 6 months, which I only found out about last week. After that it’s £3 a month, plus having to pay Fiat’s partner, Ubigi for a data plan of your choice. At the end of 3 years ownership all these services will be expensive subscriptions.

The entertainment service which includes the TomTom satnav enhancements will be £79 annually for example. Pay for the lot and your annual bill for all the technology extras will be over £200 after the 3 year trial period. In my opinion, a rip off, but this is the way things appear to be going.

I actually love the car, as does my wife. It is a joy to drive, and the way we’ve chosen to use it suits our purpose very well.

IMG_6630.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. Very interested to hear people’s real world experiences with going electric and with the new 500. Disappointed to hear that the range is so drastically affected by the climate control though - something we’ve never had to think too much about in engine cars.

Do you think you’ll hold on to this long term? Or is the plan to see how it goes for 3-5 years then trade it in to try something else when the time comes?

Thanks for sharing. Very interested to hear people’s real world experiences with going electric and with the new 500. Disappointed to hear that the range is so drastically affected by the climate control though - something we’ve never had to think too much about in engine cars.

Do you think you’ll hold on to this long term? Or is the plan to see how it goes for 3-5 years then trade it in to try something else when the time comes?
Now retired, and looking towards 70, I view the Fiat as a car that will “see me out” ;-) Currently I enjoy owning it, and intend to keep it. My annual motor insurance increased by £35 annually last year over the VW, but it remains at only £258 annually fully comprehensive. As long as this year’s renewal remains reasonable, I will keep it. It’s quick, ideal for local use, and very easy to park compared to the Tiguan on the latter.

Every time you turn on the climate control you get a dash board warning script that range will be affected, even though the way it heats is completely different to an ICE powered car.

Every time you turn on the climate control you get a dash board warning script that range will be affected,

Must be a new thing mines never done that. Keeping the interior at 18° (helps the AC keep the windows clear) makes little or no difference to range at any exterior temperature.
Range doesn’t limit performance, only Sherpa does that. Range adds one pedal driving for max regeneration.

Must be a new thing mines never done that. Keeping the interior at 18° (helps the AC keep the windows clear) makes little or no difference to range at any exterior temperature.
Range doesn’t limit performance, only Sherpa does that. Range adds one pedal driving for max regeneration.
Yes, I find the one pedal driving mode to be an interesting and enjoyable way of driving until you get used to it. The dashboard also displays battery charge level together with a very guesstimated range. This estimated range display on mine increases and decreases depending on which mode of driving is selected, and if climate control is on or off.
This description of the three modes is taken from the internet regarding how they affect performance. I never use ‘Normal’ mode, Range mode and Sherpa mode suit us fine.

Different mode, different day​

“To enhance your driving experience, the Fiat 500e offers various driving modes. In normal mode, you can enjoy a balanced performance for everyday driving. But for maximising range, the range mode comes into play. This mode restricts power output while ramping up regenerative braking, maximising energy recapture and extending your driving range. It enables efficient one-pedal driving, where lifting off the accelerator can bring the vehicle to a gentle stop. This feature is great for the stop-start traffic in a busy city as it allows total control.

The Fiat 500e also offers sherpa mode, a unique feature that is helpful if you’re running out of juice. Sherpa mode significantly reduces power output and turns off climate control to conserve energy when you have low battery. It sets a speed limit of 50 mph, ensuring you reach the nearest charging station safely. This mode is a great safety net so your journeys are full of confidence.”

Yes, I find the one pedal driving mode to be an interesting and enjoyable way of driving until you get used to it. The dashboard also displays battery charge level together with a very guesstimated range. This estimated range display on mine increases and decreases depending on which mode of driving is selected, and if climate control is on or off.
This description of the three modes is taken from the internet regarding how they affect performance. I never use ‘Normal’ mode, Range mode and Sherpa mode suit us fine.

Different mode, different day​

“To enhance your driving experience, the Fiat 500e offers various driving modes. In normal mode, you can enjoy a balanced performance for everyday driving. But for maximising range, the range mode comes into play. This mode restricts power output while ramping up regenerative braking, maximising energy recapture and extending your driving range. It enables efficient one-pedal driving, where lifting off the accelerator can bring the vehicle to a gentle stop. This feature is great for the stop-start traffic in a busy city as it allows total control.

The Fiat 500e also offers sherpa mode, a unique feature that is helpful if you’re running out of juice. Sherpa mode significantly reduces power output and turns off climate control to conserve energy when you have low battery. It sets a speed limit of 50 mph, ensuring you reach the nearest charging station safely. This mode is a great safety net so your journeys are full of confidence.”
FYI it may be worth using normal mode occasionally just to keep the discs and pads clean and extend their life. I've found it's incredibly difficult to explain one pedal driving mode to ICE drivers where braking is by modulation of the accelerator pedal.

The 500e is a great evolution of the 500 and not a radical change. Panda would be ace, don’t know if it’s on the way as 600 is definitely not it.
I was so excited in 2019 when they showed that Panda / Centoventi concept!!! With the modular battery cells that could be swapped out … replaced with time. I bet that was based heavily on what the 500e now used under the body.. I wish we’d get that or something like that. But with Stellantis… of course they won’t. It’ll probably end up in a patent library and an internal company museum somewhere

The 500e is a great evolution of the 500 and not a radical change. Panda would be ace, don’t know if it’s on the way as 600 is definitely not it.
But the panda will be built on the same platform as the 600e given the minimal changes they made between the 600 and the jeep Avenger, it is likely any panda replacement would be a similarly large size as well as having a similar interior again.

The hinted at Fiat Centoventi was built on the old panda/fiat 500 platform not an electric car platform so while it was fine as a concept car it could not be made into a production EV

With the modular battery cells that could be swapped out … replaced with time. I bet that was based heavily on what the 500e now used under the body.

That was shown recently on the 500 too. Daft idea. The platform of the 500e isn’t that far away from the ICE model.

But the panda will be built on the same platform as the 600e

Hope not would be far too big.

The hinted at Fiat Centoventi was built on the old panda/fiat 500 platform not an electric car platform so while it was fine as a concept car it could not be made into a production EV

Why not? There are lots of ICE platform EVs. The 500 isn’t radical underneath.

Why not? There are lots of ICE platform EVs. The 500 isn’t radical underneath.
The Panda/500 platform is now over 20 years old and as such would not pass modern crash test standards. Modern EVs need the frame of the car to be able to protect the battery in a crash. The platform is also very small and as such does not have a lot of space for batteries. the Centoventi being a concept car doesn't actually have to do what they claim it can do.

They did make the original 500e in the US to conform to california and some other states EPA laws, but it was not a good car, the battery was way too small and Fiat lost a huge amount of money on every one they sold despite each one costing more than $30k

They could build the Panda replacement on the new generation 500e platform, but they have already said it will use the Stellantis small common modular platform used in the 600 and Jeep Avenger among others. Also the Fiat 500e platform scored only 4 stars on Euro NCAP which in a cheaper Panda with less equipment and a more boxy design might result in a car that only scores 3 stars or less, too keep up, fiat need NCAP scores to be on their side, even if some customer's don't care, having the press slate your car as "unsafe" doesn't help sales.

Back