Panda_clx_sr_011.jpg

Panda (Classic) Project Panda-looking Pandas.

Introduction

Ok Gavin here we go ;).

With Gavins (Palio) consent this thread will chart the progress of a little project I'm carrying out for him. It's basically two matching Pandas made to look like Panda bears. These will then be used as company cars by Gavin and his business partner to also promote their new business venture.

Now Gavin is well aware that this could easily turn into being two tacky cartoon style wouldn't be seen dead in cars, so my initial brief stated that my design had to be tasteful and suggest Panda rather than be in your face. Also, there were to be certain engine and interior upgrades to make them more pleasant to live with on a regular basis.

Well I have submitted and had approved a design so it's now full steam ahead with the first car. The basis for this is the white clx I recently picked up from David (Fiat Nutter)............

Second car may be this one that I already had..............

But may not.
Just a couple of pics before I dash off to Spain for a few days.

No I'm not doing a runner, just have to get the break in early as the summer is so busy. :p

This is the bones of the front door panels, just need to cover them when I return.

Badges for the tailgate have also been painted, chrome bulbs fitted in place of orange inserts in front indicators.

He could have had it tomorrow but would prefer to take it from me at Brooklands :p.
I do get it back four days later though as it still won't be finished! perfection can't be rushed you know. ;)

Looking forward to getting hold of Panto at Brooklands. (y) It's true I could have travelled to collect him today but next weekend is better really & I may take him to Thoresby as a good test! :)

Perfection :cool: Nothing like setting yourself a target Vernon - have a good holiday. (y)

I take it Panto is home :eek:

Yep! (y)

And and and???.... How was it?

Good news & bad news.

Bad news is Vernon's asked me to compile a snagging list - there's already quite a bit on it, which I know won't come as a shock to him.

Good news is I've gone out for a quick run round again tonight despite feeling shattered, which I definitely didn't do when I brought the Abarth home for the first time & possibly haven't done since the last time I dragged a 127 back!! :)

Ok I know you want to know - put it this way, I always said it was the best engine for the Panda. (y)

There haven't been any oddities all the way home with the engine running just as it should do - it just feels like a modernised Panda & was clearly very much at home on the motorways. Quite a lot of noise on the motorway but not in a bad way & it quietens down nicely if you take it gently (er legally....). It pulls very well from motorway speeds - a long drag uphill towards the HW junction of the M40 proved this very nicely when I got baulked & Panto accelerated at a point where a lot of cars struggle (Bob will know this incline & will probably appreciate that halfway up it, accelerating in 5th by 20mph easily is good!).

Not had chance to try the handling but it feels well set up & inspires confidence so far. All the important bits seem to be working well. (y)

Thought I'd better try accelerating properly, hence my little extra run tonight. :eek: I'll repeat that in capitals :eek: :eek: It does, and reminds me very much of an almost undrivable modified Cinq I had years ago - except without the undrivable bit. This needs a bit more exploring, but it feels like overtaking will be fairly simple should the need to pass a Honda Jazz (or 50, they're everywhere here!) arise. :devil:

If I might say though VmanC - that seat has ejected me each time I go to get out. Apparently it looks amusing, but it keeps surprising me!! :bang:

That is a long old drag up there. Have you taken it up Kop hill yet?

It is a long drag up to HW & on a first drive I was quite :) to see where the speedo was heading.

No, not yet. I think it would go up there ok maybe.......

Edit: we need to shake him down a bit over the next week or so, and you're welcome to have a drive Bob scout . (y)

Last edited:
Sounds good Gavin...pleased it there or there abouts.

Better than my trip home. For some reason apple would not tick over and I had to use a bit of choke when coming to a standstill. I will have a look on Monday to see what's wrong... Any ideas Vern??

Better than my trip home. For some reason apple would not tick over and I had to use a bit of choke when coming to a standstill. I will have a look on Monday to see what's wrong... Any ideas Vern??

You've told Apple you're going away haven't you? Panda's tend to sulk about that sort of thing! :idea:

Sorry, can't add anything helpful........

Good news & bad news.

Bad news is Vernon's asked me to compile a snagging list - there's already quite a bit on it, which I know won't come as a shock to him.

Yes there's still alot of jobs not finished yet as well as a snagging list, there will probably be little on your list that is not already on mine. (y)

There haven't been any oddities all the way home with the engine running just as it should do - it just feels like a modernised Panda & was clearly very much at home on the motorways. Quite a lot of noise on the motorway but not in a bad way & it quietens down nicely if you take it gently (er legally....). It pulls very well from motorway speeds - a long drag uphill towards the HW junction of the M40 proved this very nicely when I got baulked & Panto accelerated at a point where a lot of cars struggle (Bob will know this incline & will probably appreciate that halfway up it, accelerating in 5th by 20mph easily is good!).

:) There are a few rattles at the moment from trim etc which should improve things once they are gone. Unfortunately wind noise from the twin sunnies comes as standard and there's not alot we can do about that. The engine sounds nice, slightly louder than a standard Panda but I don't think you'll tire of it. Induction noise may reduce once the air filter system is completed though.

Not had chance to try the handling but it feels well set up & inspires confidence so far. All the important bits seem to be working well.

Yep I like the way it feels too. Firm but still comfortable suspension, steering is nice and light if a little low geared. It's a very pleasant drive when driven sensibly, better than my blue clx which has the same springs and dampers.

Thought I'd better try accelerating properly, hence my little extra run tonight. I'll repeat that in capitals It does, and reminds me very much of an almost undrivable modified Cinq I had years ago - except without the undrivable bit. This needs a bit more exploring, but it feels like overtaking will be fairly simple should the need to pass a Honda Jazz (or 50, they're everywhere here!) arise.

I've tested this a few times and there just seems to be acceleration in any gear from any revs! Honda Jazz's beware :devil:

If I might say though @VmanC - that seat has ejected me each time I go to get out. Apparently it looks amusing, but it keeps surprising me!!

:D This is a deliberate part of the design. You see the seats are so comfortable if I hadn't made them so that they eject you there would be a strong chance that you'd never choose to get out. :p

Oh no, not again! And we were only saying this afternoon how a decent set of points makes all the difference. :bang:

First thing I would check would be the dwell angle to see if the points gap has closed up, simply because this was the problem last time. But if it is that again I'd be puzzled as to why it keeps doing it?

Just remembered something I forgot to mention today! :idea:. When I started Apple up one time last week fuel leaked from the pump, it was where the brass pipe goes in to the top ( the pipe from the carb attaches to it). It was weird because I turned the engine off as soon as I noticed it, but then when I tried it again in order to check the leak it didn't, and didn't do it again for the rest of the time I had it.

I would say that one of those two possibilities is the problem but I guess that the idle solenoid and jets are worth a look too.

Sorry Gavin, will continue discussion on Apples thread.

Just a quick update.

Aside from some gear linkage problems (with 3rd, 4th & especially 5th) which Vernon knows about, mechanically Panto is going like a small black & white rocket.

I'm pleased to report that the steering, handling & brakes seem very good - actually the steering feels much better than I expected Vernon!

Panto has been exploring some overtaking opportunities locally - it seems there are some! :D

Palio Panto was very static when I popped over earlier with Vern's front grill. Are you sure you forgot you were in the coupe when you tried overtaking :p ?

Last edited:
Back