Technical Problem starting my Brava

Currently reading:
Technical Problem starting my Brava

TheCROW

Hey all, I have a 99 100SX Brava 1.6 16V manual petrol.
Whenever I try to start the car in the morning or the evening when leaving work after 8 hours of being parked, the car doesn't start from the first time.
It takes 2 or 3 times to start but sometimes, before starting I turn the key for about 30 seconds and then try to start, sometimes it starts fine from the first time and sometimes it doesn't.
On the other hand, during the day if the car has been driven (less than a couple of hours) it starts fine.
What do you think might be the problem? I changed sparks 6000 KM ago I out sparks with 2 poles (Should I put those with one pole?). Air filter is also changed 6000 KM ago along with oil and oil filter. However I couldn't find the fuel filter to change it. I have used Redex but didn't fix it. (What is the right dosage for it?).
Thanxall and sorry for the long post.

try putting you foot down on the accelerator when first starting it. if it starts first time then its most likely an engine problem (e.g. dirty injectors, worn coil pack) if this makes no difference it is more likely to be an electrical problem (e.g. immobiliser). i cant be more specific without seeing the car, sorry. did this problem occur suddenly or has it slowly got worse over time? sudden problems are susally electrical, gradual problems suggest engine components are worn or dirty

People have recommended the single pole spark plugs on here in the past as they are more robust and can give improved performance :) How does it run generally? Also are you giving the battery/alternator plenty of chance to recharge while driving? One thing to try is to rev it for a few minutes before turning the engine off (having all electrical stuff turned off) to get some charge in the battery.

Hey all and thanks for replying.
First I have to specify that I don't think it's an immobiliser problem cos when I turn start the car (without stepping on the gas pedal), the motor turns for a second but chokes and stops.
I think that if I turn the key and step on the gas for a couple of times before starting the engine it starts fine and I also noticed that if I just turn the key and wait for the code and injector lights to turn off and wait an additional 20 seconds or so before starting it starts fine.
I'm afraid that for a couple of times I tried to start it while stepping on the gas but it started and the car choked and it was very sluggish (That sometimes happen though and I have to turn it off and then start it again so that it returns to normal). I've been advised not to step on the gas while starting it..........
Could it be the choke needs some cleaning?
Could it be the fuel filter?
Usually the car runs very good, the battery is new and the alternator tested ok. So what else could it be?
Thankyou guys.

on 1.6 the fuel filter is inside petrol tank, but it shouldn't need changing if the car starts and runs ok when warm.

so you're saying that when it doesn't start first time it does actually try to start but then quickly splutters and dies? that sounds more like a fuel problem so i can see why you'd think fuel filter, but if it runs fine when warm it is far more likely to be a faulty choke. a faulty choke would made cold starting difficult and give you a rought idle for the first 3 mins until the engine warms up. someone else on here is having the same problem. i think its because you only notice these kind of problems once it gets really cold, or maybe the cold is causing peoples chokes to stick? find your choke, clean it, lube it, see if it makes a difference, gotta be worth a try.

jug said:
on 1.6 the fuel filter is inside petrol tank, but it shouldn't need changing if the car starts and runs ok when warm.

so you're saying that when it doesn't start first time it does actually try to start but then quickly splutters and dies? that sounds more like a fuel problem so i can see why you'd think fuel filter, but if it runs fine when warm it is far more likely to be a faulty choke. a faulty choke would made cold starting difficult and give you a rought idle for the first 3 mins until the engine warms up. someone else on here is having the same problem. i think its because you only notice these kind of problems once it gets really cold, or maybe the cold is causing peoples chokes to stick? find your choke, clean it, lube it, see if it makes a difference, gotta be worth a try.

Thanxagain for replying to my second post:)
You're absolutely right it does exactly what you said.
So this choke, can I do it myself? I mean cleaning? Exactly where is it and what do I clean it with? Can you or someone provide me with a detailed step by step guide?
Thankyou.
I'm thinking about getting a Haynes manual but it take months to get here cos I'm not in Europe. :bang:

Last edited:
i'll need to consult my haynes manual and i dont finish work till 5pm so you'll have to check back later tonight. does the temperature gauge on the dash work ok?

jug said:
i'll need to consult my haynes manual and i dont finish work till 5pm so you'll have to check back later tonight. does the temperature gauge on the dash work ok?

Yes the temp gauge on the dash works perfectly.
Thankyou.

Back