General Problem after Problem.. Dealers, Faults, Seats, Vents, Paddle... the list goes on!

Currently reading:
General Problem after Problem.. Dealers, Faults, Seats, Vents, Paddle... the list goes on!

Bootlegdj

I've just noticed on my 2.4 Abarth ... hot air comes out the passenger side and cold air through the drivers side... REGARDLESS of the Climate Control settings!!!! Anyone know why? I've also noticed a lack of power in the air blowing out of the vents and after reading previous threads realise this could be due to the pollen filter. Does anyone think the two are related? Any ideas to solve the problem?

So just to sum up... I've owned my Stilo since October (almost 5 months) and i've had:

Air vent trouble!

Constant Airbag warnings every time the passenger seat is moved forwards or backwards.

Selespeed Paddle simply fall off (cannot re-attach fully as the spring loading mechanism will not function, so I will need a new paddle assembly to attach to the steering wheel!

The Drivers Seat electrics fail. Fiat tell me I need a new switch/control unit... so i buy one (cheaper elswhere) and ask them to fit and they then tell me it's not a switch problem... it's a wiring/power problem. Following this Fiat visit, the sticky fingered technicians decided to keep one of my switches and the box (why, when there is no fault with the part?) They claim "we believed it to be faulty so we were about to throw away the part until we realised the new switch didn't work either" we forgot to put the part back into your boot"... hmmmm yeah ok then. So it looks like i'll get the part back... eventually.

I've had to wait 3 weeks to book my car in. They then tell me their electrician has left the branch and so they wont be able to look into it properly, unless i dont mind one of the mechanics looking at it.

Also why can't you:

*Skip into a song track (only skip the track entirely)
*Easily connect an AV source, to utilise the 7" screen
*Get a simple effective answer from your local FIAT dealer

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
(n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n)

Starting to think i should have kept my MGTF and the engine blew up on that one!

sound bout right for a fiat garage.

1) is the car new? if so they should be paying for all these faults under warrenty.
2) they have basically theived your switch, possibly to try on another car they had in at the time, and then have put that broken switch back in your car, and expect you to pay/sort it out, which is typical fiat practise(n)

please kick up a big fuss, as I am personally fed up with fiat garages, the number of poo ones is nearly 100%

Re: Problem after Problem.. Dealers, Faults, Seats, Vents, Paddle... the list goes on!

Nah the car ain't new... it's an 02 plate meaning it's my money that'll be paying for the repairs!

Nevermind eh!

Re: Problem after Problem.. Dealers, Faults, Seats, Vents, Paddle... the list goes on!

I am hoping to buy a abarth in the coming months, and the main thing I want when I choose one is 12 months warranty, I have had a extended Fiat warranty on my current wagon of wonder and its been worth its weight in gold (even though I have had few problems) Its the peice of mind it brings.

ah but is it piece of mind??

READ the small print on these extended warrenties as they often only cover Major mechanicals (i.e engine blowing up for no good reason), and thats about it. If the salesman says one thing, ask to see it in writing and have a copy, and it be attached to the form that you sign for the warrenty.

AS I have found there ain't many warrenties that are worth while :(

I have the same problem with the climate control intermittantly.

If you eve get someone to fix it let me know.

I've had the problem for over a year and it was in and out of the dealer about 6 times, during which they claimed to fix it three times and actually made it worse on one occasion (now sorted).

But it still happens about once a week. Usually turning off the ignition resets things, but sometimes it requires a couple of restarts.

My car is also now out of warranty. If I had any faith I could take it do a dealer and get it fixed, I would do, but I feel I'd just be throwing money at them and still have the problem.

Good luck.

If it's any consolation, Alfa dealers are just as cr@p. I got AutoExpress involved over a replacement speedo they fitted & the finally came good - after 8 months!!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/sbaddison/AEARUK0001.jpg

It's a shame that Fiat Auto UK & lousy dealers spoil otherwise great individualistic cars :-(

Last edited:
you can skip into a track, press and hold the skip track button, and it will start to "scan"
or that's what happens on my standard head unit (or would happenw ere it in my car)

Nah the softaware on the Nav+ doesnt allow it. I've tried everything. It will only ever skip the entire track no matter which button you press or how long you press it for. I'm guessing you dont have the NAV+ headunit

yeah i cant skip either, bugger for my 70 minute mp3 cd copies, especially as the trip to work is only 20-25 minutes i never get to hear the second half of the cd!

HOORAAH!!!!!!!

The Stilo Abarth went to FIAT today (not the crappy local one where it has been 4 times in the past month). I took it to St Leonards on sea where an extremely helpful (and quite fine looking) woman listened to everything i had to say and assured me that they'll sort it. The place seemed very efficient and professional compared to all the other so called dealerships! She even handed me the keys to a wonderful courtesy car... NEW PANDA!!!!!
:idea:

Once i got over the shock we all had a little joke about street cred and going from driving a 2.4 stilo to a basic panda... still she pulled a few strings and i've managed to secure the courtesy car for an entire week (saturday to saturday) as i live and work in London during the week. So they have a whole week (minus bank holiday monday) to sort out all the problems on my fiat ... just hope it doesn't cost the earth to fix it.

might have made an error in telling them to check the brakes though... there have been no warnings just the occasional judder and what i thought was the mysterious yellow symbol. Hope they dont need fixing... cant stomach any more needless expense.

So that will be a new right hand paddle (selespeed) and solve the power problem to my drivers seat... cant wait to be able to readjust to a more comfortable position and heat my rear end on those chilly mornings!:)

So... i'll be pottering around in the granmobile for the next week but hopefully after that it will be happy motoring... Thanks to all of you for all your help and advice.(y)

:woot: A helpful Fiat Dealer is a rare find indeed, and if they are good looking to boot so much the better.

Ok so i picked the stilo up yesterday and the total bill came to £295 (despite being told over the phone the day before it would be £260) I commented on the difference in the total and the Service Manger simply said "ok.. I won't argue... lets call it £260" .. Simple as that... which got me thinking there are so many quiet and timid people in this world that would never dream of speaking up, it's not fair that people should be ripped off like this... it's tantamount to stealing!

Anyway... They've done a good job, they recommended that i replace my front brake pads but quoted me £90 to change them. On top of the £260 for the wiring fault on the drivers seat and replacing the selespeed paddle!

This is why the increased price pissed me off... i purposefully declined the offer to replace my pads as the cost was adding up and thought to myself.. get Fiat to do the "Fiat only" jobs i.e. Paddle Change and Seat wiring and i'll do the brakes. I even thought about doing the paddle fit myself after being told the part was £152 and £50 for labour. (Hence the request for the diagrams and eper pics on this forum)

In the end i just told them to get on with it... things are never usually as simple as you first think... only to find when i collected the car and looked at the old paddles which they had let me keep.. It's an EASY job... as i thought.. plug and screw!!!

Anyway.. the car is pretty much sorted now apart from the brake pads..

That cant be right can it... £90? So thought i'd do this one myself after all this... so i took a trip to Halfords.... Oh no... "Sir we do not stock pads for your model, we can order them in though... £80!!"

Is it me or has everybody gone mad... maybe they all see me coming!

Desperate to get it done though... I'd pay up to £50 or even £60 but any more and i may as well do it myself (seen some on ebay for around £25-£30).

Any suggestions?

Well at least everything is sorted finally!!

I had 1 fiat deal near me who were really good - but typically they have now changed to a Renault and I don't even have a fiat near me anymore let alone a good one lol. I agree with what your saying about boarding on steeling though - it is bang out of order how much people get ripped off over car repairs!!

Re the front pads you may beable to pick them up from shop 4 parts pretty cheap (http://www.shop4parts.co.uk) if anything you want is not listed email them as they can usually source it for you with the same great discounts (y)

My local motor factor does Mintex pads for less than 20 quid. they are supposed to be better than OE fit, and A LOT cheaper. Easy to change, just use copper grease to eliminate squeal.

Great you have found a dealer that actually knows something about customer service, even if they did try to rip you off with the price. My local dealer hasn't even heard the phrase 'customer service', let alone know what it means.

i done mine the other week with mintex pads all the way round, front ones easy,,back ones a bit of a pain in the ass as the wheels don't turn and you have to get ur head in there,,,a bit of copper ease on the back of the pads and sweet as a nut, i wont push the brake pedal too hard now as i will end up on the road in front of the car eating white line

Back