General Premium Fuels...

Currently reading:
General Premium Fuels...

I actually find that very interesting... :nutter:

Very interesting

...as on the Punto, it takes several starts, and several tankfuls, for the benefit to (apparently) 'work its way through'... -- although I presume the ECU must be altering all its various doodads (complex technical term) immediately: as it adjusts on the fly.... :idea:

I think I've now convinced myself that I'm stupid (as well as showing my age...): as I don't understand why it would take so long -- especially as I always fill to the brim, and usually with less than a quarter of a tankful left: so the proportion of super to normal unleaded must be pretty significant from day one.... :confused:

Bottom line is that it's cheaper per mile: so that's all that matters. :D

Would be interested to know what it's like in the later injected Pandas. Must give it a try in Hal, once I resurrect him. :)

How much difference does it make to your mpg in the Punto?

I wouldn't ever have tried several tankfuls in a row, as the disappointment of losing that extra performance once the ECU got used to it, sent me scurrying back to the cheap stuff! ;)

How much difference does it make to your mpg in the Punto?

Acknowledging that it's hard to factor in the maintenance and improvements that are carried out on the car -- as well as fuel prices: as I've now been running exclusively on Shell V-Power Nitro+ (and its predecessor) for well over a year... -- on 'normal' unleaded (Shell), I used to always average below 40 mpg (between 16 and 18 pence per mile -- worse in winter, of course...). :(

Since I 'upgraded' to super unleaded, I've averaged consistently over 40 mpg (between 13 and 15 pence per mile) -- and, as you'll see from my signature, my average mpg (over my full ownership period of 26 months) is creeping up all the time. :)

PS: Keep meaning to ask you what fuel you intend to use in Panto!? :confused:

Last edited:
Acknowledging that it's hard to factor in the maintenance and improvements that are carried out on the car -- as well as fuel prices: as I've now been running exclusively on Shell V-Power Nitro+ (and its predecessor) for well over a year... -- on 'normal' unleaded (Shell), I used to always average below 40 mpg (between 16 and 18 pence per mile -- worse in winter, of course...). :(

Since I 'upgraded' to super unleaded, I've averaged consistently over 40 mpg (between 13 and 15 pence per mile) -- and, as you'll see from my signature, my average mpg (over my full ownership period of 26 months) is creeping up all the time. :)

PS: Keep meaning to ask you what fuel you intend to use in Panto!? :confused:

Ok thanks. (y)

I was expecting to use normal unleaded with the odd fill of Optimax (or whatever it is this week) when doing something exciting. I'd expect it to act like the old mk1 Punto as it's presumably still thinking it's a Punto?! :confused:

Based on its likely use and what you've said, I might try running it on the expensive stuff for a few months though. (y) This is assuming that Panto lives when Vernon has time to check the engine. :(

Oh, whats this :confused:

Just when I thought I was getting him (handover day), Vernon blew the head gasket :cry: Still waiting for an update, so I don't know any more. Annoyingly it was something changed just in case when the engine was installed & I bet the original would have been ok if it had been left alone - I guess it was a faulty (non Fiat) replacement but not sure yet (it wasn't a Fiat part but don't know if it was the quality caused the problem) - I know people say Fiat original is expensive, but (assuming it was fitted ok) it shouldn't have failed if it was Fiat quality. :(

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that news Palio, we all know FIRE engines are strong though, I'm sure a quick replacement (well when Vern isn't busy doing 100 things at once of course) and Panto will be great again (y) I did get a ride in him some weeks ago, needless to say I was very impressed but I'll digress more about that in my MM thread.

Back to my topic...
Char' is getting low on the BP 95 I put in last week so tomorrow I'm going to stick some Shell V Power or whatever it is now in, I'll then be doing a 40 mile mostly motorway journey with about 10 miles of town driving at each end, I've been doing this exact journey for a few years now so I know exactly how Char' behaves so hopefully I should be able to notice any differences, sadly I'm not willing to brim the tank so I won't work the MPG out but I'm more looking for a smoother engine and possibly a slight power increase. I doubt I'll get either but I'd settle for as little as not quite losing as much speed up some of those hills with a 750 ;)

I doubt I'll get either but I'd settle for as little as not quite losing as much speed up some of those hills with a 750 ;)

You will deffo get odd looks ( jealous ) from other drivers at the pump station seing you treating Panda with V-power( premium).

If you still have some <2 litre of 95 in the tank, get 2 - 5 l of premium now, 2 - 5l at next time. After that fuel in the tank should be pure premium

My 87 4x4 pinks horribly and runs spectacularly hot on 95 octane when set up by the book, if set to stop pinking it is as lifeless as can be. I gave up and used 98 instead - performance back to normal.

Back