General Pre Delivery Checklist

Currently reading:
General Pre Delivery Checklist

openshac

I went to collect my new 500 yesterday and spent about an hour and a half carefully checking the paintwork, interior, fluid levels, test drive etc.

Unfortunately I found about 20 faults. These consisted of mostly small scratches and small oily smudges to the interior.
However there were two other issues which they were not able to rectify even though they made me wait a further hour.

The first related to the transfer stripe down the side of the car. It was misaligned slightly over the door and the edge was peeling slightly. More importantly though there were hundreds of fine scratch along the length of the stripe where the fitter had rubbed with a piece of cloth that presumably had some dirt/grit on it.

Also there were a couple of quite noticeable and deep scratches to the chrome on the outside of the drivers door handle.

The dealer was not able to rectify either of these issues: agreeing to replace the door handle, replace the stripe and get a bodyshop to come in and repair the fine scratches by using a method he called "mopping".

I did say that I was disappointed that the car wasn't it in an acceptable state for delivery, but the dealer offered no apology and just said the he wouldn't have time to check the cars as thoroughly as I did.

So I have a couple of questions:
  1. Are the repairs the dealer is going to get done acceptable? Is it OK for a body shop to come in and do the repairs?
  2. Should I ask to see a copy of the Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) report?
  3. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the FIAT 500 PDI?
So basically I had a four hour round trip wasted (2.5 hours) at the dealer, so I a feeling quite frustrated. Should I being asking the dealer to do anything to make up for the inconvenience he has caused me? (I'm not very hopeful, since the dealer doesn't seem to care, but not sure if it is worth a try)

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie

Get the repairs done and see if it's done to an acceptable level. No reason why they shouldn't sort it out properly that I can see.

My car has been back four times for faults, in fact this week it went in for the third time due to a rattle behind the dash. It's now sorted out and I'm happy with that. It's not uncommon for their to be a few faults on a new car, some you only notice once you've done a few thousand miles.

I think give them a chance to sort it out and try and maintain a good relationship with the dealer because that most certainly helps.

obviously what you've noted would not be found in a pdi check tbh, its good that you gave it a good check over (most wouldnt) and at least you know once its all done it will be spot on :)

dealer probably thinks your too fussy- which you are compared to 99% of people, but why shouldnt you be spending all that money, so just let them fix it and should all turn out ok.

Thanks, I appreciate you taking time to reply.

My car has been back four times for faults
I do hope that's doesn't happen to me it's a 50 mile round trip

I think give them a chance to sort it out and try and maintain a good relationship with the dealer because that most certainly helps.

Yeah, you're right it would be a good idea, just feel like he's wasting my time. The scratch on the door handle is obvious to anyone opening the car so should have been spotted, and the problems with the stripe were caused at the dealership. I guess I just feel it's reasonable to expect the guy fitting it to at least check that he fitted it correctly and that the finish was acceptable.

obviously what you've noted would not be found in a pdi check tbh
Well I think he should have picked up the door handle that needed replacing, it was obvious when I opened the car.
Regarding the stripe the problems were caused by the dealership. I guess I just feel it's reasonable to expect the guy fitting it to at least check that he fitted it correctly and that the finish was acceptable.

dealer probably thinks your too fussy- which you are compared to 99% of people, but why shouldnt you be spending all that money, so just let them fix it and should all turn out ok.

I agree, but I think the checks I made were pretty rudimentary and reasonable. Just not very happy at having wasted fours hour of my weekend without so much as an apology :(

good for you for doing that amount of checking. they probably noticed a few of the things you did, but from their viewpoint no harm just leaving it in case you were one of those that didnt notice/werent bothered by it.

as previously said, when you're spending that amount of money on a brand new car, you're 100% entitled to receive the vehicle in A1, faultless condition - inside and out.

hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

PDI sheet is a document of which you should have recieved a copy (there is no seperate 500 sheet, they are all the same) and if I was buying a new car I would walk away unless I recieved a copy. Like you I would check this (its easy to tick boxes) then if there was any discrepencies I would be at the service manager who signs of the PDI sheet therefore its his responsibility to make sure the car was ready to leave the premesis.

The PDI sheet also states 'recheck for errors after (8 mile) roadtest, therefore I'd be asking for copy of examiner printout. Did your car recieve the required 8 mile roadtest or are you the first person to drive it on the public highway? Was it even put up on a ramp and checked underneath?

I'll guarantee you I can find fault with any PDI carried out, if not i'll give that person a tenner.....and for a tight c*nt like me thats alot!

The PDI sheet also states 'recheck for errors after (8 mile) roadtest, therefore I'd be asking for copy of examiner printout.

Just to confirm, do you mean that there should be two PDI reports?
What it the examiner printout? How does this differ from the PDI?

I have a just been left a message by the dealer describing the subsequent corrective work on the car that was done by a bodyshop company. I am starting to get a little worried....

He has described a scratch on the passenger door which I don't remember spotting when I inspected the car. His message says and I quote "there's not a lot we can do about it, it's been mopped, we've brought it down and touched it in. You can't see it to the naked eye".

• How did the scratch get there? It wasn't there at the weekend when I checked.
  • What does "brought it down" and "touched it in" mean?
  • If it's not visible to the naked eye why does he say "there's not a lot we can do about it"

I thought I should be getting a mint car? If the scratch isn't perfect should I be demanding some sort of discount or a replacement (long wait) or should I
just walk away (again long wait for a new car).

I am starting to get suspicious and quite worried about my purchase now, and would appreciate any advice?

Mopping is the term applied to using an electric polishing machine on the finished surface. The "mop" is often a foam type polishing or cutting pad, and there are many types of these ranging from very soft, such as in a waxing process to what is termed a cutting pad, for removing swirls and scratches. The pads are used in conjuction with various liquids, creams or compounds, depending on the job being done.
Brought it down, probably means the use of some kind of cutting compound to smooth the paint finish and touched it in often refers to paint being applied to a scratch. This is usually buffed and polished afterwards to blend in. If this is done well, you would not see any difference between any new panel and the one treated.

That part is subjective though, and only you can judge that when looking at it.
Trading standards may be able to assist if you are really not happy with what you have been offered as a "new" car.
Fiat themselves may be able to intervene at some point. Might be an idea to contact them and ask for help.

I have a just been left a message by the dealer describing the subsequent corrective work on the car that was done by a bodyshop company. I am starting to get a little worried....

He has described a scratch on the passenger door which I don't remember spotting when I inspected the car. His message says and I quote "there's not a lot we can do about it, it's been mopped, we've brought it down and touched it in. You can't see it to the naked eye".

• How did the scratch get there? It wasn't there at the weekend when I checked.
  • What does "brought it down" and "touched it in" mean?
  • If it's not visible to the naked eye why does he say "there's not a lot we can do about it"

I thought I should be getting a mint car? If the scratch isn't perfect should I be demanding some sort of discount or a replacement (long wait) or should I
just walk away (again long wait for a new car).

I am starting to get suspicious and quite worried about my purchase now, and would appreciate any advice?
I would seek the advice of a paintwork professional - they may have reduced the amount of clearcoat available to a dangerous level on and around the scratch. Where abouts are you based?

I would seek the advice of a paintwork professional - they may have reduced the amount of clearcoat available to a dangerous level on and around the scratch. Where abouts are you based?

If you are not happy, get a new one! Money is money! And if you are paying for something its unaceptable any circumstances under perfection! Between a Fiat or a Ferrari your rights and their duties are the same!

In my oponion! If I were you, I would bring hell to earth to have a new one!

Let me just give you an example!

About 2 years ago i bought a Toshiba laptop that costed me 1400 €!
After 2 weeks i noticed a dead pixel! Went to the shop and they got me another one! The same happened with the replaced laptop! And the next one! And the next one... and so foward!

Bottom line!
In a space of 2 months i had 8 laptops because they were not in proper conditions! Cd drives, dead pixels and hard drive that stoped!

At the 7th change i asked for my money back! Went to buy it on another store, 1 floor below! Till now! I am happy with my laptop and almost 2 years have passed!

So no matter what it takes! If it´s new,It has to be perfect!

Last edited:
Picking mine up in two hours .... Was told to wait till 4pm onwards to allow the permashine to dry !!

Back