Technical Power Steering

Currently reading:
Technical Power Steering

Philfen

Hi,

My power steering has failed, problems getting reconditioned part in this present climate, so my question is...

Can I replace with any second hand unit from eBay, I have full version of multiecuscan software and cables.

My fault codes are c1007 power steering motor and c1013 control unit faulty.

I've read all of previous comments on this subject, my battery is good, fuses good, and unit is receiving power, tried disconnecting the battery as well.

My problem is most people are saying get exactly the same part number, mine being 51723100, but no exact matches on eBay.

But multiecuscan has ability to adjust angle, and relearn engine type to the power steering ecu.
So assuming I can fit any part number.

Has anyone personal experience of this situation?

Thanks for any replies, phil
Stay safe people.

Well, after getting no replies, thought I'd give it a go, plenty of time on my hands!

Managed to get one off eBay for £40, 2004 1.4 3 door. My car is 2003 3 door 1.6, close enough for the money.

Swapped it over and it worked first time without needing any reprogramming!

Still apprehensive that it going to last but looking good for now :)

Trying to shed some light on why this would be so easy. Only thing I can tell you is that the one I took off was TRW type 2 on Multiecuscan, and has program options for angle and engine type.
Whereas the one I put on was TRW type 1, program of engine type only.

Seems to be working fine and the city mode also works, so keeping fingers crossed for now.

Totally irrelevant,but TRW (the company that makes lots of multi-use parts like switches and electronics for cars - including the Stilo radio and your power steering unit) is literally opposite my house.... Funny to think that thousands of bits and bobs for Stilo's were made on my street.

Glad you got your power steering repaired [emoji106]

As long as it's physically the same thing I can't see how different part numbers would be of much relevance.

Okay, maybe there is some subtle change between one rack and another, but usually most bits are interchangeable, and even if the ratio was to be slightly different, so what, its not like its a 3 year old car or that total originality is of any benefit.

All that said, the only 'electric' rack I've changed was on my old Zafira and the one (off of ebay) I bought fitted straightforwardly and worked well.

The new rack will probably last forever. :)

I fitted a second-hand front hub until I managed to get round to fitting a new bearing into my old hub... which was groaning really loudly and setting off the ABS fault on the dashboard... I thought even if the second-hand one was noisy, it might at least work without triggering the ABS alarm... but it's been faultless. The old one and the new bearing for it are currently in my old mum's shed somewhere, waiting for the virus to disappear so I can one day swap it.

Ralf S.

Yeah, I agree. But having read on this site about parts not being that interchangeable and other people saying to get the same part number to avoid any problems. Thought I'd post up for reference.

Also when I first got the car a few months ago I ordered some tailgate struts off eBay.

Didn't fit, the 3 door ones are a lot shorter than the 5 door ones, fiats can be a bit weird, lol.

Back