Technical Power Steering

Currently reading:
Technical Power Steering

I have steering issues amongst other things.

At rest or slow speeds, I have had a creaking noise when the steering is moved from side to side for a while. No vibration or other issues, car drives fine, steers well no stiffness etc.
I had presumed top mounts until today when the power steering packed up as I was attempting to pull out of a junction. I thought I had stalled but the engine was still running, got a message about power steering failure so I switched off the engine and re-started, all fine for the rest of the journey but I'm a little concerned.

I'm going to clean all earthing points as some look a little corroded and I occasionally get the temperature warning light and message on start up which I've read can be bad earths but, should I be worried about a larger problem here and if so, could anyone suggest what it may be?

Car is an 06 plate 1.4 8v

Many thanks

Ben

Last edited:
Hi, I'm having similar issues (and my car is virtually the same as yours - 06-reg 1.4 8v). The car just conked out on the motorway after the dashboard turned into a Christmas tree and had multiple fault messages come up, including for power steering. They AA guy worked out it was worn out earthing cable connecting from the neutral battery lead to the gearbox. So your above symptoms would indicate that it indeed is (was? old post) might be the same issue of the earthing.

Alternatively, if you've also had symptoms such as the steering wheel shuddering or losing the power steering altogether, it would be the steering angle sensor (another one that I've been through!).

My AA patrol provided a temporary fix to get me off the motorway and let me take the car to the garage. But now the power steering warning light is on constantly and while it is still working, there is a creaking noise when turning the wheel at low speed or while stopped. I am yet to have it checked by the mechanic as it's Sat evening now.

Have you had any joy finding the solution to your problem since? I'm wondering if in my case it's just an incorrect old error code causing havoc still or if I've got the double whammy of the earthing lead issue and now the power steering motor losing the will to live...

Hi,

I've had no electrical issues at all since cleaning all the earth points and changing earth straps. I'd try this first and also measure the battery voltage, should be 14.4v I think whilst charging, if the battery or alternator is less than perfect you can get steering issues.

Cheers

Ben

Ben, thanks for your kind reply and your suggestions. I had the alternator replaced last year and have had the factory spec battery replaced with a slightly up-rated Varta one.

It seems the car has had time to think about its behaviour overnight and today - presto! - all of the issues disappeared. No incorrect temperature gauge readout on start up, no power steering warning light, no noise when turning the wheel. So it seems that all of my issues, including the randomly dying speedo, were linked to the poor earthing! Gonna get it sorted properly ASAP...

Can I ask how you normally use your car? I gather from your other posts that it is your everyday long distance commuter

Pleased it's sorted :)
The 1.4 8v is a daily runner although it's only done about 6000 in the last 12 months. Other than the gearbox packing up and the usual niggles such as earth points and split rear washer pipe and heater resistor it's been pretty good to me.

Cheers

Ben

Looks like yours has a much easier life with you than mine does with me! Daily motorway commute for us, at least 300 miles per week, 28k miles since I got her in Aug '15 with 74k on the odo then. Got new battery, timing belt and water pump almost as soon as I got the car, followed by new brakes and tires - the previous owners did not put much effort into maintenance!

Considering our intense lifestyle she's been very reliable with only the aforementioned incident being the only time that I got stranded. But in between we've had:
- stop light sensor replacement drama (nearly impossible to remove it without damaging the plastic housing)
- taillight niggles that come back with the cold weather
- steering angle sensor replacement (very common on these)
- alternator and suspension spring both packing it in on the same day
- two door latches replaced (driver's door and n/s/r) followed by n/s/r external door handle
- driver's doorstrap breaking
- n/s/f door wiring loom replaced

I've also had the rear washer hose problem! Most of the small issues were repaired cheaply by myself. The car has also been missing half the a/c piping because whoever serviced it previously was a ********. Got the replacement hoses and pipes and aircon pump, it's just finding a garage to fit it all proves to be problematic!

Back