Technical Power steering

Currently reading:
Technical Power steering

Scd

Hi all , had my croma 1.9 for over a year now and had no probs up until a few days ago . Just driving out one day and my steering went stiff . Called out the AA and they hit the steering pump and the power steering worked again ! So booked it into a garage and they cannot communicate with the steering unit to check for a fault ? Any ideas as I'm lost ...... Thanks all .

Hi scd, if you have a read through the other power steering threads you'll see some suggestions and things that me and others have found but to summarise:
check the battery voltage, alternator voltage, clean the battery terminals and connectors and then unplug and check the power steering wiring loom connection.

I'd suggest doing it in that order because getting at and disconnecting the power steering connection can be very fiddly and the others are all much easier to check first.

Also, if yours still has an original battery it might be failing as well as the wiring loom so each might make the other worse but fixing one won't necessarily fix the other.

Let us know how you get on and what you find - good luck.

Hi all , had my croma 1.9 for over a year now and had no probs up until a few days ago . Just driving out one day and my steering went stiff . Called out the AA and they hit the steering pump and the power steering worked again ! So booked it into a garage and they cannot communicate with the steering unit to check for a fault ? Any ideas as I'm lost ...... Thanks all .

Check the power supply connection on the pump, read article "Power steering PAS" posted 22 May 2014 in the Croma section.

Hi all , thanks for you help . It's had a new battery recently so will have a look at the wiring first . Thanks a lot !

Back