Technical Power Steering Fault Code Storage?

Currently reading:
Technical Power Steering Fault Code Storage?

Hawthorne

Hi, I bought a 1.9 GP about 2 Months ago and since 2 weeks after purchasing I have had intermittent PAS issues.

I have a banging/knocking noise when the wheel is turned past 10 o clock and 2 o clock when stationary and at low speeds and the PAS turns off every so often but resets when engine is turned off and on again.

I have taken the car back to the garage numerous times and they have said they can't fix it unless the fault occurs while they have it so I was wondering if the fault code would be stored in the vehicles memory somewhere or when the light goes out does the fault code disappear as well?

Any help appreciated.

I have taken the car back to the garage numerous times and they have said they can't fix it unless the fault occurs while they have it so I was wondering if the fault code would be stored in the vehicles memory somewhere or when the light goes out does the fault code disappear as well?

Any help appreciated.

I've had this issue with my 10 plate evo, and had to have the whole column replaced. I did get a fiat 50% contribution towards the cost of replacement, so it worked out significantly cheaper than what it should've been.

Regarding your garage, they're talking crap as all fault codes are stored in the computer even if the light goes off. That is, unless they've been cleared by the AA/RAC man, for example. In which case they won't find anything.

Thanks for the reply, I did think the codes were stored on the car however I thought I would double check before taking it to another garage to get them to plug it in and have a look for me.

I also suspected the column and I thought that might be why the garage was refusing to do anything as its not a cheap job.

Back