General Powdercoating Tinware and Oil Pan - any issues?

Currently reading:
General Powdercoating Tinware and Oil Pan - any issues?

Mferg

I am considering having the engine tinware and oil pan on my 1959 N powdercoated. Does anyone know if any of these parts contain solder that is susceptible to melting at powdercoating oven temps? Can always revert to High Temp paint if needed, but powdercoating sure seems appealing if viable.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I have had powder coating melt where it contacts to the cylinder head and also annoying if it cracks or chips so I reverted back to paint.

Thx for that feedback. I have an ongoing debate going on inside my head on which way to go. No question that paint is pretty easy as a DIY and easy to repair down the road if it chips or scratches.

I have a few mates who restore Motor Bikes...
hey have moved away from Powder Coating frames etc to stove enamelling...

Another good bit. The fact that all the major appliance makers are using enamel these days is pretty compelling.

Thx

Im just planning on standard gloss black. Leaning towards high temp enamel now based on the feedback and a bit more thought.

I am considering having the engine tinware and oil pan on my 1959 N powdercoated. Does anyone know if any of these parts contain solder that is susceptible to melting at powdercoating oven temps? Can always revert to High Temp paint if needed, but powdercoating sure seems appealing if viable.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I had all my fan housing powder coated with a good final result, the problem came with the thermostat housing that had been modified to fit a Panda 30 head.
Because the mod included welding the process of blasting the original coating off can tend to remove welding and filling if you have any, otherwise as already said it will scratch and chip unless careful. In the pic the thermostat housing is painted the same colour and shows signs of chipping/flaking.
Ian.

Attachments

• IMG_2151.JPG
    IMG_2151.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 44
Back