Technical possibly a silly question

Currently reading:
Technical possibly a silly question

epicshane123

I've purchased a 2008 1.3 Mjet punto, 1.3, but don't collect until Friday, how will I know if its the 75hp or the 90hp versions? As its my first car, I don't even know what turbo lag is, and how it will affect me/my driving.

any help is appreciated.

This will explain turbo lag (taken from Wikipedia)

This is the time between the demand for an increase in power (the throttle being opened) and the*turbocharger(s) providing increased intake pressure, and hence increased power. Throttlelag*occurs because turbochargers rely on the buildup of exhaust gas pressure to drive the turbine.

You put your foot on the pedal and then after the turbo gets enough pressure the car accelerates quicker.

Not sure how tell by car itself but if you type in your reg on insurance site it will more than likely tell you.

Turbo lag won't effect your driving in anyway if you drive normally I.e not pulling out on roundabout when someone is coming round towards you (cutting them up)

If you haven't already done so then do a car check on the car. This is recommended on any car you buy used. It will tell you if it has finance on it, mileage of the car, if its written off etc. It's a safety line if find that the information wasn't correct with the check then they sometimes cover you for the car.

Oh and welcome to the forums and being a proud owner of a gp

Last edited:
Thank you very much! :)

yes, I did an Auto-trader HPI check before I purchased, all clear :)

buying from a reputable company, so i would hope that everything is clear

im glad to own a GP! I've liked it from the first time i was going to purchase a car! the space and the spec (sizeable for a family, and decent MPG being a diesel)

my bad: just checked the history check: (forgot i had it in my emails)

and its stated on there:

Brake Horse Power75 BHP

:) they are a nice drive the gp's. If you have any problems (hopefully not) or questions then don't hesitate to ask in the forums. You'll more than likely get the help you need.

Being a diesel I'd at least take it on a good run every so often. Short runs can block the egr valve :-( (past experience).

Have fun with your new adventure ;-)

Last edited:
my first run will be the 11miles from the dealship to home: so I should get a nice feel for the car!

then i'll be spending a good hour~ just pressing buttons and turning dials slayer

I wouldn't worry about it being the 75bhp - the 90bhp one of that era was famous for severe turbo lag that the 75 didn't.

I have driven both engines 90bhp in an Alfa Mito and 75bhp in a Vauxhall Corsa, not much in them. In fact I remember the 75bhp leaving a 1.3 90bhp Vauxhall Astra behind.

In case you didn't know - all the above use the same engine as the Punto.

still no car :(
was meant to pick it up yesterday! :(

but when doing the MOT/Service they noticed the back passenger side window is slipping?

every few hours the window will open 1-2cm, then so on and so on until wound back up.

so the dealership has fixed this with a new belt I presume, and its ready today at 12 :D

finally!

Least they are fixing it before you get the car. If you notice a rattle on pulling off its more than likely the breather hose come loose from the bracket. It's simple fix just cable tie it. That's what happened to mine when got the car

yeah, I've gotten a free MOT voucher for next June also from them as compensation :D

when I took it for a test drive, I didn't notice any rattling.

I've already got my fiat air freshener ready for the cup holder! :D

(which I also got free of charge, as Fiat charge £49 for that little thing!!!)

Back