Technical Poor Start - Anything to Worry About? (1.9 150)

Currently reading:
Technical Poor Start - Anything to Worry About? (1.9 150)

Andysan

Hi all,

Left work today and started my 1.9 150 Sport JTDM as normal, by allowing the glow icon to disappear before cranking the engine, as per normal. Outside temps were 18*c so I didn't double glow or anything. Have the odd splutter as all MJet owners probably do, but it was a good five seconds before it would start. I tried again and noticed a very large combustion that shook the car, followed by quite a large cloud of s*** was thrown out of the tailpipes - car ran fine thereafter.

Would like to know from a technical perspective, why on a warm day maybe once out of every half a dozen starts a diesel engine has troubles, and why on this particular occasion it felt like a bomb went off under the bonnet? I'm guessing there was excess fuel in the chamber from the first attempt? Anything to worry about - my plugs were done about 30,000 miles ago now...

Cheers.

I think u dont have nothing to worry about it, because mjet engine in very sensible on fuel, my was doing the same (about 5 times on year). My mehanic said i can try fuel aditive-injector cleaner and i am using it every 6000miles and i dont remember when i had bad engine start, or the better option is to clean the injectors with ultrasonic cleaning.

Have fun.

Back