Technical Bravo 1.9 jtdm 150 refuses to start help!!

Currently reading:
Technical Bravo 1.9 jtdm 150 refuses to start help!!

jaydr

the man without a plan
Hi all

Bought this 2007 bravo multijet 1.9 150bhp about a week ago now. At first it was great, tons of power and torque and seemed to run spot on.

About 2 days after i got it, it seemed to lose all power and wouldnt rev. I thought maybe it had sticky vanes so pulled over and switched the car off then on again but it didnt make any difference.

The next day i went to put some fuel in and it seemed fine again, but i didnt push it i just drove it steady. The day after i tried to open it up again and it seemed to have power but only after 2250 rpm and theres no off boost torque.

So after a few days of this..it seems to me that when i put fuel in it behaves itself but once it starts running low it started playing up.

Today.. all was fine, went shopping and the car was fine all morning...we got near home and it started playing up again..no power..so we parked up and 30 mins later went to go out again and now it refuses to start. It sounds like its trying to start but then nothing after a few seconds just cra ks and cranks.

I was thinking could it be either the fuel pressure regulator or maybe the starter motor or even a cam or crank sensor?

Any help would be really appreciated

Cheers

Jay

When you turn the key to the on position do you hear the electric pum running briefly?
If this is not running it could give similar symptoms. Check the fuse and relay.
DO NOT unplug or plug in the connector to the in fuel tank unit with the car switched on. This can damage the body computer with loss of the fuel gauge.
You can also test the pump by bypassing the relay.
After this you need to get Multiecuscan or similar diagnostic system on the car.

Robert G8RPI.

Hi robert
Yeah it does prime the pump from the tank and i can hear clicks too.....i was planning to spray something flammable into the intake somehow and see if it fires....ive got alfaOBD and according to it there are no faults and there are no warning lights either...would a knackered starter do any of this?

A starter fault is unlikely unless it is noticably slow to crank.
Will AlfaOBD let you look at parameters like fuel pressure? It's years since I looked at it and I can't remember.
It does sound like a failed high pressure pump. Was it private sale or a dealer. It it was any sort of dealer, even a couple of cars on a verge, you do have some rights against them.

Robert G8RPI.

A starter fault is unlikely unless it is noticably slow to crank.
Will AlfaOBD let you look at parameters like fuel pressure? It's years since I looked at it and I can't remember.
It does sound like a failed high pressure pump. Was it private sale or a dealer. It it was any sort of dealer, even a couple of cars on a verge, you do have some rights against them.

Robert G8RPI.
Sadly i bought it private so im stuck with it......im not sure i do however have MES so if you could possibly direct me as to what i need to be looking at id really appreciate it.

So a quick update......went out this morning with jump leads....it started immediately! So i left it running for a few mins to charge the battery and it now either wont start or struggles to. I also tried bumping it and it started with no problems.....im now really confused

You need a new battery or possibly an alternator.
Do you have volt meter or DMM?
If not what voltage does MES say you have with engine off and engine running?
The voltage was 12.3v off and 14.5 running The alternator is new on it...i havent used MES as yet because alfaOBD had most of the info i needed..

it showed the injectors were all at 3.08 except for injector 3 which was 0.08 for smooth idling.

I had a peugeot teepee which had a similar problem (wouldnt always start off the key, but would always bump start. Which is exactly what the bravo is doing)
And that turned out to be a faulty injector.

Is there any way i can force the injectors to clean themselves using mes or alfaobd?

Thanks a million for all your help
Cheers
Jay

Back