Technical poor accel top end

Currently reading:
Technical poor accel top end

trigxm

The fruitiest dood i know
Right, real weird one for you guys..

0 - 60, is quick.. But from 60 - 80 is an utter dog, and I need to press the accel all the way down to even get anywhere, and even then it takes about 10-15 seconds to get to 80. Once at 80, it picks up better but not much.. Fuel econ is about 300 miles per tank, I do, 20 miles to work, 20 back roughly, with 3/4 of that being dual carriage way driving.. As you can imagine, over taking someone is a pain in the arse, but I can beat most on take off..

History of my car:

Second hand 1.6 16V 100 HLX (w) with 60,000 miles on the clock, 1 owner from dealer. In November, I had to have all the injectors replaced as I used some Wynns cleaner and it blocked 2 up, so all 4 needed changing.. That was done, and also a clutch bearing was replaced.. Nicely done, worked a treat. Just after xmas, I was having a terrible time with ecconomy, it was found out to be the lambda, ie, i couldn't get above 60, it was kangerooing and I did 70 miles to 3/4 of a tank motor way driving..

I've been told perhaps the cat is blocked, but I can't see it, because I'm getting no smell.. Was going to try Cataclean but I'm trying to not have to, simply because of the problem I had with Wynns, even tho they paid for the work to be completed... I don't know if the ECu has been reset, nor do I know how to do it..

Any ideas? Anyone in stoke wanna take her for a spin, see what I mean? Drink in it, if you can fix :p

If it was a blocked cat I don't think it would start accelerating faster at the top end (unless it blew something right out but then you wouldn't continue to have the problem in the middle). If you've had the lambda sensor replaced, it might be worth resetting the ECU so it can learn from the new, working sensor. I do this whenever something major to do with the engine is replaced eg. after my lambda sensor and coil pack went. This is done by leaving the battery disconnected overnight. Fuel economy does sound on the low side for a 1.6. I'll ask the usual question - at 60k it's due a service, has it had one?

Helz said:
If it was a blocked cat I don't think it would start accelerating faster at the top end (unless it blew something right out but then you wouldn't continue to have the problem in the middle). If you've had the lambda sensor replaced, it might be worth resetting the ECU so it can learn from the new, working sensor. I do this whenever something major to do with the engine is replaced eg. after my lambda sensor and coil pack went. This is done by leaving the battery disconnected overnight. Fuel economy does sound on the low side for a 1.6. I'll ask the usual question - at 60k it's due a service, has it had one?

Service: Yeah I've had a service on it, about 2 months ago, just passed its MOT also..

I'll reset the ECu, tonight and see what happens.

Thanks

sammiboo said:
if you want some advice give paul from motor-mech a call. H and I take our cars there to be looked and call him quite a bit for advice too.

Thanks for that.. I'll give Paul a call in a minute.. Cheers :D

Back