General Please Help!!!! Punto Mk1 overheating!!!!

Currently reading:
General Please Help!!!! Punto Mk1 overheating!!!!

Topaz98

hello, :)

we have got a mk1 1.2 sx60 punto 1998 (R reg).

approximately 2 months ago the heater matrix was leaking! we spoke to a local mechanic and he said as a temporary measure (if we don't mind the cold) to bypass it!
we had this done and the car serviced and had the rocker cover gasket changed!
since then the car has been running warm, warmer than usual, about half way on the guage. then recently we noticed when i was turning right, ie round a large roundabout, the temperature guage rose and then dropped again when driving in a straight line!
last sunday i was driving along the dual carriage, 60mph, the temperature gauge continously rose and rose until 3/4 of the way, i pulled over to let it cool down and then limped it home!

listed below are the things i have checked and the problems we have with the car:

1. loss of coolant, not sure how much, (as we are trying not to use the car), there is no sign of a leak.
2. there are signs of an oil leak, dip stick is full up, (looks like fresh oil).
3. the car misfires from when starting from cold. then purrs nicely.
4. the mot is due in 2 months time! but i have also been told that the radius arm? on the rear right has gone too! i have been told £70 approx!
5. the clutch is almost worn out! according to the mechanic!
(if related), when warm, when i pull away in first gear the car shakes and judders when warm and it is really getting on my nerves.

i have read on this forum, which is very helpful that it COULD BE the head gasket, that's gone! is it worth it for a temporary fix to use radwell so i can still limp the car along to get me to work and back? as i think this could end up being very costly to kept my punto on the road!
if anyone can help, i will really aprreciate it! thanks!

Get a compression test and/or sniff test done to confirm if it is the Head gasket or not. You have all the usual symptoms of HG failure.

Radweld wont work it will just burn off with the coolant if it gets into the cylinders.

As for the clutch it could just be how it is. MK2 8v clutches from new sometimes judder. Its quite a common problem. Having said that if the clutch has done around 50 000 miles its likely it may need changing.

Last edited:
thank you very much for your help Mdeko.

as it all sounds like the head gasket and given the other problems with the car in your opinion, do you think it's worth paying out getting the car mended, or should we just cut our losses?

Hi

I've come across this recently, haven't actually used it myself, but I've heard that its good.

http://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.html?secpath=01.04.&pgid=17

Its called K-seal and it looks like it does a similar job to Radweld, but for the head gasket and stuff too. Hope its of some help to you. I think GSF Car Parts stock it if you want to buy some.

Hope its of some help, might work out as a cheap fix for you.

thank you very much for your help Mdeko.

as it all sounds like the head gasket and given the other problems with the car in your opinion, do you think it's worth paying out getting the car mended, or should we just cut our losses?

You can get the Head gasket changed (along with changing the cambelt, waterpump and thermostat is recomended) for around £300/350 if you shop around.

It all depends on what the car is worth to you after you have had it fixed it should have a 12 month warranty with the garage who does it so any probs regarding the Hg shouldnt cost you anything.

If youre to sell the car it wont be worth much with a blown head gasket, my advice would be if your confident enough to have a go a changing it yourself. Im sure there was a guide on thsi forum for the mk1 (same engine as in the mk2 8v) so you could follow that. All in would cost you around £100 with head skim, and all parts, plus a few hours of your time.

Heres guides on bleeding cooling system and changing waterpump if you are going down the route of fixing yourself

Ive heard stories of people using K-Seal and it fixing a head gasket leak for months. I suppose for a few £ its worth a try if you have HG failure.

Last edited:
at the end of the day you have a 10year old car +, how long are you going to keep it is the question. can you get the work done cheaply by yourself or with help from friend/relative. fixing the car properly is the only answer really to be sure things don't go pear shape again if keeping it.
as a wee note, i had 75sx punto in near immaculate condition all suspension & steering was new, far too much new stuff to list, a great wee runner.....my point is when i sold it got very little for it.
i knew the price would be lowish but not peanuts .....

Last edited:
Back